Help - My Speakers Are Too Small

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few improvements on the clone set with some additional cork and felt cork.

Tried several ways to "bock" wool from clogging the ports; strips of furnace filter is the best so far. (on right) Just slips in/out.

As mentioned, the 16" mdf "shelf-board is easy to cut/sand/finish.

Attachments

• 237.JPG
    237.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 150
The Clones are Kool!

There was a minor issue with the 1st first set, they sounded like they were straining now and then. Of course I was horrified that the tweeters may be crossed too low...again :headbash:

Didn't want to bring this up because never liked the "Blue Caps" (top left), couldn't wait for the PE order with a pair of Solen caps (which are very reasonably priced, btw).
The Clones with the Solen's are great/wonderful. Maybe the "noise" is somewhere else, maybe one of the tweeter coils is misaligned.

Really enjoying the double 5 woofers, they have a bigger than appearance sound. Might try again some day with some carbon fiber drivers I found on MS (not cheap).

Attachments

• 5 mtms.jpg
    5 mtms.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 137
Of course I was horrified that the tweeters may be crossed too low...again

That's quite possible. I was hoping the 4th order filter would allow some level at 2 kHz, but this may turn out to be wrong. Due to the increased tweeter resistor, there is the option to reduce the tweeter capacitor as well. Attached the result with 4.7 uF which doesn't look bad either. Let me know if you find out the cause of the issue with the first set.

Attachments

• SimulationODougboPeerlessMTM2.jpg
    SimulationODougboPeerlessMTM2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 108
  • CrossoverODougboPeerlessMTM2.jpg
    CrossoverODougboPeerlessMTM2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 111
Now's there's a large cap on the tweeter; a MS design uses a 9.uF in a 4" mtm (Vifa XT25).
Strange that cap is 2.5 x larger in the d'Appolito design 8.2uF vs. 3.3uF in the 2-way.

There is a replacement woofer for the Troels Grovsen designs - I'll have to look for old email with details.
Edit - sorry no, it was a different project:http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Peerless_HDS830875.htm

Last edited:
Need one more of these, # 5
Getting faster, but still several hours of work, which is fine AND its going to warm up later for painting :)

I want to keep xo costs down; diy 18g solder spool coil e.g.
Q. If I use the 4.7cap, I'm guessing I can replace the 15uF with a 10uf?

Also, since we are experimenting with these, can the xo be brought down a bit?
I could just replace the 4.7cap; willy-nilly with slightly larger ones but worried about phase.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 111
The box in pic above is the set that had the tweeter break-up. This is gone now, so that's an eye opener :magnify:

Maybe some of the x25's work better than others, which was the case with MDT 28-30's; some had "the noise" others were crystal clear.

This xo version is well balanced, maybe gave up some bass, but hard to say - still plenty. The middle is shinning through; very pleasant and sound wayyyyy better than ever expected.

Little rumble boxes

These are a blast! And learned a few things along the way.
e.g. the jumbo woofer coils didn't do much, the smaller ones worked fine.

Dissi, make sure you are sitting down - Raised the tweeter level this time; 3.3ohm. Really like what you did with the tweeters, very natural :up:

The black one on the floor won't be here long, that's going to friends for a swap

Attachments

• Nov 02.jpg
    Nov 02.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 89
Peerless 832591

Hi ODougbo,

I have just tried to PM regarding the two projects you completed using the Peerless 832591. I have four brand new one sitting in my garage along with two Peerless 811827 that I was going to use in an MTM configuration. I've also read through your other posts where you used the 832591 with the XT25 in a smaller bookshelf design.
I would like to contact you if that's ok just regarding some questions I had.

Cheers
Caz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.