Speaker decision???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the middle of picking out components for a 2 way set. They are going to be bi-amped...and I was thinking about the Vifa PL18WO or the Focal 7W4411 Focal W cone driver or maybe the polykevlar???? I am looking for the best I can get for under 200 a driver. Any suggestions for a tweeter?? Thanks again guys.

Bob

Bob,

I'm not familar with the focal but I haven't heard anything about the Vifa PL series woofers to suggest they are worth the extra cost over and above their classic drivers. When tested by Linkwitz they didn't look any more attractive as I recall in terms of distortion. Perhaps they are better in a way that is not reflected in their specs.

I think you could do better with the Peerless HDS midbass drivers (without the phase plug). They have a motor design optimised for low distorion, something uncommon in drivers at their price point.

Linkwitz comparison of different midbass drivers

This comparison includes a PL driver, the vifa P17 as well as the Peerless HDS, a seas excel driver as well as a number of SS drivers.

regards,
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.