Loudspeakers for SE Tube Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am finishing my first DIY Single Ended Tube Amp. It will able to play with KT88, 6L6, EL 34 and other tubes, in triode mode and UL. Maximum output power will be around 8 - 10 W RMS.

I would like opinions on some models of loudspeakers that are available here in Brazil to use with this amp.

As you may know, is very difficult to import loudspeakers here due to their weight and high cost of custom fees. Then, the option is to buy those arriving here via official importing.

Due to an issue of available space in the listening room, I can not buy tower speakers.

The models are:

KLIPSCH RB-81 II
KLIPSCH RB 61 II
KEF iQ 30
PARADIGM Studio 20

Many thanks
Antonio

Antonio, first off let me congratulate you on your SE build, (As I am doing one also!)...as you know with the limited power available AND the limited selection in Brazil...of your choices listed the Klipsch RB-81 at 97 Db sensitivity is really the only choice here.
BTW, my build will be even more critical with loudspeaker selection as I will only have 2.5 Watts to work with. I'm going to try to get a pair of Eminence 12LTA shipped here.

________________________________________________________Rick.........

Attachments

• 12B4Amp.gif
    12B4Amp.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 268
"It should now be obvious why objective measurements don't seem to give much insight into the performance of amplifiers"
After coming across this sentence, I rolled my eyes & continued reading with a new-found doubt & derision. The remaining text was thereafter thought of as 'opinion interspersed with fact.

________________________________________________Rick...............

Designing speakers for SET amps is done rather well here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/158899-arpeggio-loudspeaker.html

This is with a Fostex unit, the skill is in getting impedance flat and using oversized closed box to compensate for the lack of amplifier damping.

I have had a bash at something similar using 30L closed box and visaton 8" and 2" drivers, which will look a bit like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

No idea if these will go loud enough for you, but bass with SET will go deep. Hope it helps. :)

Attachments

• SET_Speaker.PNG
    SET_Speaker.PNG
    12.2 KB · Views: 197
  • SET_Speaker_Phase.PNG
    SET_Speaker_Phase.PNG
    21.7 KB · Views: 198
  • SET_Impedance_Correction.PNG
    SET_Impedance_Correction.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 192
Hi Richard,
Good to hear you and thanks for the encouragement! My amp is a Tubelab SSE from George Anderson. I think I've seen you on the Tubelab forum.
I had thought in the Klipsch RB-61 because my amp should not respond below 60-70 Hz, but the RB-81 is a great option.

Thank Norris, your indication is a good help, especially because the forum is in Portuguese.

And, for all... I know that SPL is not the only parameter to choose a loudspeaker, but it is a good indicator when it is to be used with a low wattage amp.

I have built a fullrange speaker with Audio Nirvana Super 8 Cast Frame and the result was not good, so I do not intend to build another one. Based on this, the decision to buy a loudspeaker manufactured by experts seems to be the best way. However, the article by Morgan Jones is fantastic and left me in doubt as to that decision.

Tkanks
Antonio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.