simple and low cost line array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i will first mention about some limitations/requirements as i still have doubts if a line array is what i am looking for!! :confused:
* the room size is 15 ft x 20 ft
* max height of speaker boxes allowed is 5 ft (due to space and aesthetic reasons)
* speaker boxes would be separated by around 6 ft
* listening distance of 10 ft
* want to avoid subwoofer unless its absolutely necessary (target low freq. is 40hz)
* in local market i have access to 4" mids to 6/6.5" woofers and couple of low Fs (<1000hz) dome tweeters (make Peerless India).
* sealed compact box (if it makes sense!)
* active xover/bi-amping will be used

i am interested to build something similar to 'The ART Line Arrays' in below link
[ lonestar2 ]

questions:
* is height of less than 5 ft and room size suitable for line array speakers?
* what would be the ideal size and number of drivers per channel? or what factors decide size and number of drivers?
* how much low i can expect the drivers to go (for chosen size and number of drivers) in a properly designed sealed box (how to calculate?)
* power amp requirements
* how to calculate combined SPL of the array?

Combined SPL is difficult to predict, high frequencies do not couple as low frequencies. I'd expect total sensitivity to be equal to one of tweeters that you choose, because you'll need to equalize raising bass to match tweeters.
Here is an example of that problem.
Parts Express: Project Showcase
His solution was to raise high frequencies, which I think was not a very good idea.

questions:
* is height of less than 5 ft and room size suitable for line array speakers?

No.

The designer is Fred Thompson or FredT on the Partsexpress forum:

ART.com line array

It's a similar design to the old Zalytron "arrays".

Here is the "real deal" on Line arrays:

http://www.diy-audio.narod.ru/litr/nflawp.pdf

Note: you can make an array, but past a certain distance it won't behave as a line source. Fig. 5, page 8 - has a table "calculation".

..this causes all sorts of problems with a design like Fred's where you have a point-source tweeter vs. a modest line-source for a certain distance. Basically you have to design for the distance you listen at for the crossover work, otherwise you'll end up with a depressed treble region (because of the pressure loss of the tweeter when compared to the mid-bass array).

Last edited:
Hello,
my suggestion is that you could use Zaph's ZA5 MMTMM consept as guideline. It might be difficult to make large enough box for more that 4 4-6,5" woofers. Perhaps it would be wise to make a sealed box and use eq to make bass lift.
ZA5.5tt.gif

I second the motion for an MMTMM or MTMMM over a hybrid line array with the constraints you mention. Four 6.5" woofer would easily get you to your 40hz goal with available DSP but still give you sifficient dynamics and matched efficiency to most domes.

The more I think about it, a 2.5 way with the MTM MM format would be easier to accomplish with the small sealed enclosure constraints.....the bottom two with passive inductance in the 400 hz range fills in the bottom and reduces the need for BSC.

Last edited:
good to know there is hope! :)
how can it be achieved? by boosting tweeter SPL compared to bass-array?

-just measure at the listening position and formulate your crossover (with eq.) from that position.

Note that at greater distances we tend to expect a down-ward tilting response (perhaps -3db loss over the passband of 80 Hz to 20 kHz - i.e. not a lot), so a flat response at the listening position of 10 feet probably isn't ideal. "Play" with your crossover until you get something that sounds right.

Last edited:
If this was my project..
I might would also copy Joe Rasmussen's Elsinore a little. A waveguide -assisted Vifa XT25G-60 and 4 5" very linear midwoofers (like Peerless HDS). 2 of them making MTM and two in .5 boosting low end in a narrow closed cabinet. xo LR2 acoustic. .5 done passively -a minidsp 2x4 and four amplifier channels would be enough for a pair!

5" and waveguide make excellent combination when we consider horizontal directivity. mtm/Line of woofers takes care of vertical directivity.

Here are my measurements of my 5"+wg tweeter speaker Amphion Helium2

Attachments

• Amphion Helium2-horz.jpg
    Amphion Helium2-horz.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 243
i am updating my inventory :treasure:
i just recalled that i am also having 3.2kHz active xover module from marchand electronics. :)
i guess this allows me to use 3"-4" small mids (most of which have flat response until 3khz and beyond) and cross them to tweeter at 3.2khz actively. advantage here i am seeing is by using smaller cones, i will be able to use more number of mids in array(say 8 per channel). + with miniDSP i could add a sub (provided 3-4" mid-array can reach below 100hz). else i could consider adding stereo woofers too.
(Note: one of the 4" mid i am considering is having its Fs=80Hz, SPL=92.5dB, Qts=.45)

That's fine I guess, with a sub. Don't force the little ones too low! With minidsp we must avoid boosting, to avoid "digital clipping" of the signal. So, use of negative values leads to lower overall "efficiency/sensitivity" of the system. Likewise every passive crossover makes only attenuations. But usually with enough power this is not a problem. Multidriver line helps to maintain low distortion in low register despite of "boosting".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.