Measuring the SPL of loudspeaker at home.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2013
OK. I brought the speaker in the middle of the room. And this is the response I got!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• flat.png
    flat.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 246
  • flat raw.png
    flat raw.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0530[1].png
    IMG_0530[1].png
    758.6 KB · Views: 180
Disabled Account
Joined 2013
Do you have level controls on the crossovers? Simply turning the tweeter down a bit could help. And titanium can have nasty breakup modes, that may be what you are hearing.
I have L-pads, and they help a bit, but not quite.

Better to control tweeter resonance Pano , damping helps but may mush up everything . i would like to see impedance magnitude , the ringing should be present here and he can control from xover ...
I heard Greg Timbres have said, coating the dome of these Ti tweeters, removes the "zing" out of them and should tame them.

See here:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=JBL+...woH4Aw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1097&bih=581&dpr=1

How can I measure the impedance magnitude?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK. I brought the speaker in the middle of the room. And this is the response I got!!!
To me the midrange looks hot and then you have some trouble around 7.5K. Wonder if that is driver or crossover related? Guess the only way to tell is now to measure the drivers solo.

Thanks for doing all the work and posting here! We'll figure out something yet. :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Oh, one more thing. I see a lot of hard surfaces. Bare walls, fireplace, wood floor. The wood and brick can sound OK, but in combination with the bare walls may lead to a harshness you are hearing. I had to treat my walls like crazy to avoid that. Still have a little ring left.

I found this link very helpful:

A HOLM starter guide
A HOLM starter guide

Thanks, HOLM looks much easier to use compared to ARTA.

This is what I got from ARTA using Near-Field(LF Diffraction), Far-Field and then combine them. I see if I can get the same results with HOLM, and figure out if my ARTA's jig can be used on it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2013
Thanks for doing all the work and posting here! We'll figure out something yet. :)
I have to thank you for the help. :)

Oh, one more thing. I see a lot of hard surfaces. Bare walls, fireplace, wood floor. The wood and brick can sound OK, but in combination with the bare walls may lead to a harshness you are hearing. I had to treat my walls like crazy to avoid that. Still have a little ring left.
I totally agree. How do you suggest I treat the walls?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.