Recommended computer speakers build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2013, 08:45 PM   #1
lamir35 is offline lamir35  Israel
diyAudio Member

Default Recommended computer speakers build

Which speakers would you suggest for a pc? Considering the constraints in space in the desktop, is it even worth upgrading from the basic 2.1 sets?
Old 28th September 2013, 11:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

On my computer desktop have have a full sized Stereo Receiver with two 10.5" x 6.5" x 6.25" speakers. This is on a common computer desk bought at the local office supply store.

So, what you need and what you mean is relative. Also this is a DIY Forum (Do It Yourself). Is that what you intend to do, built your own Active Speakers? Or are you looking for recommendations for Factory made Active speakers?

Or do you even want Active speaker, perhaps separate amp and speakers are what you have in mind. There are very low cost compact T-Amps, that can sound excellent, are about the size of a pack of cigarettes, but they are not high power, so you won't be throwing any raves with them. When used within their reasonable limits, they can sound very good.

The first place to start is budget?

The second place to start is, what do you want? That is, what do you want done, what is it you hope to achieve?

Most computer speaker are not great. The give the impression of good bass, but it is all bluster, then number simply do not go low enough to be considered HiFi.

If you want two very tiny speakers, then you have no choice, you have to have a Sub, but don't get the idea that having a Sub takes you any deeper than a good bookshelf speaker. Most 2.1 computer speaker Subs have small bass drivers and don't really go all that deep. Most decent bookshelf speaker will equal those Sub on low bass numbers.

So, right now, your question is too vague for anyone to give any productive response.

Here is what we need -

1.) BUDGET?

2.) Some sense of the amount of workable Space, which will help us determine what speaker will work of you.

In my case, my amp took up too much desktop space, so I simply built a shelf out of off-the-shelf pre-finished shelves from the local building supply store, and make a shelf to put my speakers on. Plus additional space to pile misc junk on. I used a common hand saw, an electric drill, a screwdriver, and some glue. Nothing fancy. Though I have to admit I'm pretty good with a hand saw.

3.) What is your goal? Is this just for watching YouTube videos or are we talking some serious music listening? Movies? Parties? Raves? And if serious music, then how serious? What format is your music in? MP3 = casual listening. FLAC/WAV implies truly serious listening.

4.) What are you skills? What are your available tools? Again, this is a DIY forum, that implies you are asking us to help you build some speakers.

Answer those questions and you will get some truly helpful responses.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by BlueWizard; 28th September 2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 29th September 2013, 10:33 AM   #3
lamir35 is offline lamir35  Israel
diyAudio Member

1) Budget: $300 for the speakers 2) Very limited space, I allocate around 15x15cm for them, 54cm apart (because of the display). There's around 15cm space from the desk to the wall behind. 3) Listening to music in FLAC format. 4) I'm willing to buy or build.
Old 29th September 2013, 06:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You are in Israel? Right?

In ready-made speakers, I think the best studio monitor I heard was the Mackie MR5 -

Mackie MR5 Active Speaker mini-Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

Mackie MR5mk2 2-way Reference Monitor | GuitarCenter

Keep in mind the price is $149 each in US Dollars.

In the review link above you should find links to a Google-UK search with UK Prices on the Mackies.

From the review I posted. The Yamaha are very clear, but a bit weak on bass. The KRK Rokit are very good listening speakers, and while they work as Studio Monitors, they have a bit of bass drone. The Mackies have much better bass, very clear and distinct, relative to the Yamaha, and were clearer in the bass than the KRK Rokit.

An amazing little speakers.

In the USA, it is possible to buy small T-amps, so powering passive speaker or building amps into Active speakers would not be a problem. What the options are where you are, are unclear. However, Mackie is available worldwide.

Actually here is a Google-UK search for Mackie MR5 MKII prices -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e....1.4Tt6c-6hXak

I suspect a similar search of Google-Shopping specific to your location would turn up prices and sources.

Just a side note, if you are into DIY. It is best NOT to put the speakers on the table top. Rather raise them up a bit on pedestals. Attached are a couple of photos to illustrate what I mean. Note the speaker shown on the pedestals are NOT Mackie speakers. The Mackies are actually very small.

Steve/bluewizard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DsktopSpkrStand1.JPG (41.0 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg DsktopSpkrStand2.JPG (58.4 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by BlueWizard; 29th September 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 29th September 2013, 06:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here is an example of what I have done on my own system. Again, I bought pre-finished shelves at the local Building Supply store, Cut one shelf in half to make the legs, and the other was already the right size for the width. Though it is hard to see, there is a board in the back to make the shelf a bit more ridged.

Click the image to open in full size.

This gives me storage above and below the shelf, and on my desktop there is room for the monitor as I have a pull out tray for the keyboard under the desktop.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by BlueWizard; 29th September 2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 29th September 2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default multi-way?

lamir:

you posted here in multi-way (I'm a single driver full-range fan due to the absolute simplicity), but I have a very low budget consideration:

Vifa A10CC-07 co-axials. Very inexpensive if bought from ApexJr (I have no affiliation in any way, shape, or form) and have used these successfully in re-vamping a set of old TEAC Reference 100 loudspeakers (look here at the TEAC "retros" ). No DEEP bass, but very useable as nearfield monitors on a desktop. The basic speaker could be copied. I even used the existing crossovers.

I have also built a pair of "tubes", 37" long pipes. They are free standing and could be placed beside a small desk. The bass is much more "palatable" and better balanced.

Either pair would cost less than USD $100 for a pair complete.

A single driver that you should consider are the planet10-hifi modified Mark Audio drivers. (again no affiliation other than I consider Dave a friend, but if they were not good I would not recommend them)

What about an amplifier? I've built and used the 41Hz amp6 basic and the NuForce Icon integrated. or re-use whatever you may already have...
Old 29th September 2013, 08:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

This also isn't a multi-way solution, but I recently built a pair of 'pico neo' speakers which use the Aurasound NS3 full-range driver. I have a thread about them here. Small cabinets, and the drivers are only $12.50 apiece from Madisound. I use mine in the bedroom, but I think they'd work quite well for a desk/computer setup.
Old 30th September 2013, 02:23 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

SB Acoustics speakers are proven to have very high performance-to-price value.
Here is one of the many well reviewed designs that use the SB15NRXC30-8 midrange and SB29RDCN-000-4 tweeter.

If you can tweek the cabinet to fit your curent space, you will keep them around your home for many years. Not a throw-away investment.

SB15 BR (SB Heimkino Part 1) - Ausgabe Januar 2010 - Lautsprecherbau-Magazin 2010 | Lautsprecherbau

bottom slot port cabinet

h=34cm
d=28cm
w=20cm

50 -- 20khz

SB15NRXC30-8
SB29RDCN-000-4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SBacoustics.jpg (17.6 KB, 101 views)
Old 30th September 2013, 03:56 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Found a pair of these - below , local bar threw them out.
BY FAR the best sounding bookshelves I've heard.

I looked up "AV123" , they were designed by GR research -

X-LS Classic kit

I took mine apart (one blown tweeter) , the Xover alone is massive. 1/2KG of copper for the LF inductor.

Unreal value for a complete kit (pair) @ $109USD.

I run 40w chip amps normally with my PC , but these "X-ls" kits can handle
my much larger Class A/B amp as well.

OS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x-ls.jpg (17.3 KB, 97 views)
Old 30th September 2013, 04:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Found a pair of these - below , local bar threw them out.
BY FAR the best sounding bookshelves I've heard.

I looked up "AV123" , they were designed by GR research -

X-LS Classic kit

I took mine apart (one blown tweeter) , the Xover alone is massive. 1/2KG of copper for the LF inductor.

Unreal value for a complete kit (pair) @ $109USD.

I run 40w chip amps normally with my PC , but these "X-ls" kits can handle
my much larger Class A/B amp as well.

OS

Hide this!Advertise here!