Recommended computer speakers build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On my computer desktop have have a full sized Stereo Receiver with two 10.5" x 6.5" x 6.25" speakers. This is on a common computer desk bought at the local office supply store.

So, what you need and what you mean is relative. Also this is a DIY Forum (Do It Yourself). Is that what you intend to do, built your own Active Speakers? Or are you looking for recommendations for Factory made Active speakers?

Or do you even want Active speaker, perhaps separate amp and speakers are what you have in mind. There are very low cost compact T-Amps, that can sound excellent, are about the size of a pack of cigarettes, but they are not high power, so you won't be throwing any raves with them. When used within their reasonable limits, they can sound very good.

The first place to start is budget?

The second place to start is, what do you want? That is, what do you want done, what is it you hope to achieve?

Most computer speaker are not great. The give the impression of good bass, but it is all bluster, then number simply do not go low enough to be considered HiFi.

If you want two very tiny speakers, then you have no choice, you have to have a Sub, but don't get the idea that having a Sub takes you any deeper than a good bookshelf speaker. Most 2.1 computer speaker Subs have small bass drivers and don't really go all that deep. Most decent bookshelf speaker will equal those Sub on low bass numbers.

So, right now, your question is too vague for anyone to give any productive response.

Here is what we need -

1.) BUDGET?

2.) Some sense of the amount of workable Space, which will help us determine what speaker will work of you.

In my case, my amp took up too much desktop space, so I simply built a shelf out of off-the-shelf pre-finished shelves from the local building supply store, and make a shelf to put my speakers on. Plus additional space to pile misc junk on. I used a common hand saw, an electric drill, a screwdriver, and some glue. Nothing fancy. Though I have to admit I'm pretty good with a hand saw.

3.) What is your goal? Is this just for watching YouTube videos or are we talking some serious music listening? Movies? Parties? Raves? And if serious music, then how serious? What format is your music in? MP3 = casual listening. FLAC/WAV implies truly serious listening.

4.) What are you skills? What are your available tools? Again, this is a DIY forum, that implies you are asking us to help you build some speakers.

Answer those questions and you will get some truly helpful responses.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
You are in Israel? Right?

In ready-made speakers, I think the best studio monitor I heard was the Mackie MR5 -

Mackie MR5 Active Speaker mini-Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

Mackie MR5mk2 2-way Reference Monitor | GuitarCenter

Keep in mind the price is $149 each in US Dollars.

In the review link above you should find links to a Google-UK search with UK Prices on the Mackies.

From the review I posted. The Yamaha are very clear, but a bit weak on bass. The KRK Rokit are very good listening speakers, and while they work as Studio Monitors, they have a bit of bass drone. The Mackies have much better bass, very clear and distinct, relative to the Yamaha, and were clearer in the bass than the KRK Rokit.

An amazing little speakers.

In the USA, it is possible to buy small T-amps, so powering passive speaker or building amps into Active speakers would not be a problem. What the options are where you are, are unclear. However, Mackie is available worldwide.

Actually here is a Google-UK search for Mackie MR5 MKII prices -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=...29.2119.2j14j1.17.0...0.0...1ac.1.4Tt6c-6hXak

I suspect a similar search of Google-Shopping specific to your location would turn up prices and sources.

Just a side note, if you are into DIY. It is best NOT to put the speakers on the table top. Rather raise them up a bit on pedestals. Attached are a couple of photos to illustrate what I mean. Note the speaker shown on the pedestals are NOT Mackie speakers. The Mackies are actually very small.

Steve/bluewizard

Attachments

• DsktopSpkrStand1.JPG
    DsktopSpkrStand1.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 377
  • DsktopSpkrStand2.JPG
    DsktopSpkrStand2.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Here is an example of what I have done on my own system. Again, I bought pre-finished shelves at the local Building Supply store, Cut one shelf in half to make the legs, and the other was already the right size for the width. Though it is hard to see, there is a board in the back to make the shelf a bit more ridged.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This gives me storage above and below the shelf, and on my desktop there is room for the monitor as I have a pull out tray for the keyboard under the desktop.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
multi-way?

lamir:

you posted here in multi-way (I'm a single driver full-range fan due to the absolute simplicity), but I have a very low budget consideration:

Vifa A10CC-07 co-axials. Very inexpensive if bought from ApexJr (I have no affiliation in any way, shape, or form) and have used these successfully in re-vamping a set of old TEAC Reference 100 loudspeakers (look here at the TEAC "retros" ). No DEEP bass, but very useable as nearfield monitors on a desktop. The basic speaker could be copied. I even used the existing crossovers.

I have also built a pair of "tubes", 37" long pipes. They are free standing and could be placed beside a small desk. The bass is much more "palatable" and better balanced.

Either pair would cost less than USD $100 for a pair complete.

A single driver that you should consider are the planet10-hifi modified Mark Audio drivers. (again no affiliation other than I consider Dave a friend, but if they were not good I would not recommend them)

What about an amplifier? I've built and used the 41Hz amp6 basic and the NuForce Icon integrated. or re-use whatever you may already have...

This also isn't a multi-way solution, but I recently built a pair of 'pico neo' speakers which use the Aurasound NS3 full-range driver. I have a thread about them here. Small cabinets, and the drivers are only $12.50 apiece from Madisound. I use mine in the bedroom, but I think they'd work quite well for a desk/computer setup.

SB Acoustics speakers are proven to have very high performance-to-price value.
Here is one of the many well reviewed designs that use the SB15NRXC30-8 midrange and SB29RDCN-000-4 tweeter.

If you can tweek the cabinet to fit your curent space, you will keep them around your home for many years. Not a throw-away investment.

SB15 BR (SB Heimkino Part 1) - Ausgabe Januar 2010 - Lautsprecherbau-Magazin 2010 | Lautsprecherbau

bottom slot port cabinet

h=34cm
d=28cm
w=20cm

50 -- 20khz

SB15NRXC30-8
SB29RDCN-000-4

Attachments

• SBacoustics.jpg
    SBacoustics.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 166
Found a pair of these - below , local bar threw them out.
BY FAR the best sounding bookshelves I've heard.

I looked up "AV123" , they were designed by GR research -

X-LS Classic kit

I took mine apart (one blown tweeter) , the Xover alone is massive. 1/2KG of copper for the LF inductor.

Unreal value for a complete kit (pair) @ $109USD.

I run 40w chip amps normally with my PC , but these "X-ls" kits can handle
my much larger Class A/B amp as well.

OS

Attachments

• x-ls.jpg
    x-ls.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 167
Found a pair of these - below , local bar threw them out.
BY FAR the best sounding bookshelves I've heard.

I looked up "AV123" , they were designed by GR research -

X-LS Classic kit

I took mine apart (one blown tweeter) , the Xover alone is massive. 1/2KG of copper for the LF inductor.

Unreal value for a complete kit (pair) @ $109USD.

I run 40w chip amps normally with my PC , but these "X-ls" kits can handle
my much larger Class A/B amp as well.

OS

This is my diy passive, closed box table monitor with TangBand fullrange from some 5 years ago. Notch somewhere around 3-5kHz if I remember right. The box is cut from a cardboard tube ("sonotube") Treble extension and dispersion are fine I am thinking of modifiyng this concept to active with a B&O ICEpower 2x50W module and perhaps BR tuned to 50-60Hz "mini LLT". I don't play loud so Xmax should not be a problem.

Oh yes, the notch is from Zaph and story here Design of Zaph's W3-871S Fullrange Monitors

Attachments

• TangBandFR3-horz.jpg
    TangBandFR3-horz.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
at USD$109/pr. Just build a pair of the required cabinets (box plans seem pretty simple), and away you go. Still could get under $300 for speakers and amplification if a little careful.

Here are the "innards" (below)

There seems to be quite a "following" for Dan Richards kits ...

GR Research

I've never come across injection molded speakers before (3'rd + 4'th photos)
GR sells it as the M165 - M165 Woofer

The first photo is of the tweeter. A standard 1" dome from taiwan/MCM (53-1370) can be retrofitted into the stock tweeter faceplate.
The enclosures are from AV123.com made in Cali, Columbia (I found these at the curb - unreal ... my best sounding speakers).

I'm actually going to use these to audition my latest solid state amp "creations". For a small speaker , they have managed to survive 60-100 watts
quite easily. :D

OS

Attachments

• xl-s-tweeter.jpg
    xl-s-tweeter.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 150
  • xl-s-xover.jpg
    xl-s-xover.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 143
  • xl-s-woofer.jpg
    xl-s-woofer.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 146
  • av123.jpg
    av123.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 148
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.