RADIAN 950PB vs. 950BePB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2013, 03:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default RADIAN 950PB vs. 950BePB

I know the difference between these is the beryllium diaphragms and $700. But can anyone tell me the difference in the sound?

Radian High Frequency Compression Drivers - Radian 950PB - Radian 950PB lightweight neodymium 2" high frequency compression driver that handles 100 watts RMS. Radian 950PB 2" high frequency compression driver is available here. Radian 950PB speaker c

Radian High Frequency Beryllium Diaphragm Compression Drivers - Radian 950BePB - Radian 950BePB lightweight neodymium 2" high frequency compression driver that handles 100 watts RMS. Radian 950BePB 2" high frequency compression driver with a berylliu

They both say that they are suitable for hi-end home speakers. I see the frequency response is fairly smooth all the way through its advertised specs. It looks smoother than the jbl 2447's and 2446's while $300 cheaper. Any one able to compare radians and jbl's?

I am still trying to decide what my main speakers will have as drivers and I would like to know if these compression drivers are good candidates.

Also I would like to ask whether I should buy an 8 or 16 ohm model? If I buy the 16 the buy a woofer with 8 ohm impedance wouldn't that make up for the huge sensitivity difference in volume?

If you don't think these a good driver for a home stereo/theater please let me know of any superior alternatives. Thanks.
Old 26th September 2013, 04:00 PM   #2
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Where can you see the frequency response of the beryllium driver?
Old 26th September 2013, 04:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I was referring to the standard version and not the beryllium version.
Old 26th September 2013, 04:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Maybe you already googled this by now.
This one compares TAD TD4001 vs. Radian 950 by Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h (JBL and others).
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=hug&m=123816

Last edited by Inductor; 26th September 2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h link
Old 26th September 2013, 08:03 PM   #5
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link. There is nothing on the usspeaker website or even on Radian's own website. So, I'll wait for graphs on the actual response in the Radian drivers. Although, Radian's graphs are so heavily smoothed that there is not much use of the graph.

Anyway, from the links it seems there just isn't anything in those graphs to suggest any improvement in sound. This is the same as what other response measurements of the Be v Al comparisons have shown. I'm not holding my breath.
Old 27th September 2013, 06:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
Thanks for the link. There is nothing on the usspeaker website or even on Radian's own website. So, I'll wait for graphs on the actual response in the Radian drivers. Although, Radian's graphs are so heavily smoothed that there is not much use of the graph.

Anyway, from the links it seems there just isn't anything in those graphs to suggest any improvement in sound. This is the same as what other response measurements of the Be v Al comparisons have shown. I'm not holding my breath.
My first link has both in red and blue, in case you missed it. Thanks.
I don't mean with this that they are Radian final combinations of diaphragms/CD's. Maybe it's just one initial choice over later final products and specifications for sale. I can't see that overall new product research and development is going to be a lot different from what was presented and tested already.

Last edited by Inductor; 27th September 2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 27th September 2013, 08:54 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I was looking at the model below and most people (i believe including Radian themselves) said that the 850pb was better, unless you needed below 500Hz super low extension...

2" affordable compression drivers
Old 11th October 2013, 03:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Is the 835pb better at high frequency due to its 1.4" throat? How is the 850 better than the 950?
Will I need a tweeter?
This or FatalPro HF20AT which some say is superior?
JBL 2447?
JBL 2440/1 Vintage?
WHat types of horn would you suggest? What sounds best for each application of mids and high freq. ?
Old 11th October 2013, 05:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The Be diaphragm should give better treble extension because the brake-up modes are higher. I don't see what advantage this should bring, considering that you won't use a 2" compression driver for treble duty.
Overall performance should probably not be much different. The Radian 950Pb is a nicely sounding driver, has considerable low midrange extension, it can be employed from 300hz up. Unless you set as target a high-efficiency system just with two ways, without using a super tweeter, it might be a route to go. But there might be other alternatives, that are more suited for that.

Hide this!Advertise here!