Bass Driver Options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Still find it slightly odd that someone would comment on something like a bog standard sash clamp.

I would like a pair of those 'standard sash clamps', if you can show me where to get them :)

and please, the exact same pro carpentry type :smash:

but I think you may find they are quite old, maybe even vintage, and certainly not anything 'standard'

well, enough of that I guess :D

Good pieces of kit and they can take a lot of abuse while being precise.

I used them mainly to keep trussing and related aluminium or steel structures square whilst constructing or welding up.

If I'd build more big speakers I'd definitely get four of them but for one, two or three pairs screw'n'glue works out cheaper.

Mini DSP

Hi Inrank,

Interesting project!
I had no luck with a Mini DSP unit I bought second hand a few years ago... Lots of emails but it never sounded right ....
But lots of guys swear by them so I do believe they are good units.

If you get a chance try a DEQX digi in and digi out so you can use your own DAC's....Wow, the DEQX software is a joy to use and the performance is off the scale.

Cheers
Derek.

Hi Rob,
very nice progress on your project (not like some of us :) )
I hope you get your MiniDSP working, should bring out a lot from the drivers.....
Please do post some more pics, it really is inspiring to see others progressing with their projects...not enough pics on the builds :)

Danny

Bit late in my reply, hadnt seen the last 5 pages, but I had the td15M corner loaded once and with their 70ish hz roll off it ended up being quite balanced down to maybe the upper 30's sitting near the back wall, and mated very well with horns at 700hz and with TPL-150H at 1.4K. If you got Eq in the minidsp you could make it work anywhere. The TD15S would get you a bit lower if needed, and only has a slight wrinkle at about 500hz that can do with a bit of Eq if you're running up to 800hz.

Rob I see on dsp forum you got it working, thats a relief. How you liking the Radian?

This guy helped me loads in setting up both my MiniDSP 2x4 and 2x8.

I really wish they could bundle in a great PSU for them.

I have their mic as well. (also a first gen one which had some problems so they replaced it), should theoretically allow for auto calibration, but might need the 2x8 board to do it.

Good luck with the next step.

Some more on the V1 this afternoon/evening. I tried a bit with the V2 but could not get the bass even, it has punch but at the expense of lots of room nodes.
The V1 is back up and running, now a lot simpler, with Bessel on both Mid-Bass and Treble @ 800Hz, no shelving or BSC at all and it sounds really good. well compared to before anyway!

DIY Active Speaker V1 by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

DIY Active Speaker V1 Mk2 by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Been Measuring:

Speaker Measuring by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Volt BM251.3 Mid-Bass @ 1m, no crossover but 2.5dB BSC @ 255Hz.

bm251.3 solo with bsc by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Left and Right Tweeters @ 1m with no Crossover:

right and left tweeters @1m by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Right Speaker Response @ 1m with crossover slopes:

total response with individual by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Right Speaker Response @ 1m:

total response with bsc by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Right Speaker Response @ Seat:

total response with bsc @ seat 2 by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

At Seating position, Left, Right and Stereo Response:

seat stereo and right and left by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this project. I have seen very little info on these Volt drivers. It’s great to see some good photographs. They look extremely well built. Do you have any idea how they would sound up to 2khz. I haven’t found any graphs that give information on dispersion or cone breakup.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.