Replacement Bass Drivers Epos ES14

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi anyone have any ideas on replacement drivers for ES14's.
Epos unfortunately don't make them anymore :(
One driver pretty crunchy although still working albeit audible distortion at low volume.
If I cant source direct replacements which is looking frankly a non starter - could anyone suggest possible replacements.

EPOS14 Bass drivers

I had a pair of ES14 which had distortion problems at high volume. Turned out to be the rubber surrounds coming partially detached from the cone and "flapping" at certain frequencies. It was fixed by gluing the loose bits back. Finding the loose bit was the tricky part as it looks OK - have to push on the edges of the surround to see where it's detached.

The bass driver on the EPOS speakers were all custom made for EPOS and Ebay may be your best bet for replacement part.

Have checked and checked again speaker surrounds seem perfect, but on tapping around the circumference of the speaker there is a definite rattle at one side of the cone whilst the other sounds nice and deep. Scratchy noise when the cone compressed, i'm pretty sure at least a partial melt down of the voice coil :(
Another post i read somewhere had given me hope that maybe some debris had somehow got trapped between the coil and speaker housing. But even with the speaker out of cab and moving repeatedly in and out has not solved the problem.
You are indeed correct the Epos speaker was custom made for Epos who no longer produce that particular speaker with a square faceplate. Searched Ebay, asked a couple of likely places but no luck.
Is there a good quality driver that would take over bass/mid duties to a similar or higher standard. I have worked out that I can refit a standard round driver of the required size and take the plastic square front off off the original speaker and refit over to make the speaker look the same cosmetically just need some suggestions on likely speakers as i'm not too familiar with brands makes etc.
Epos bass mid has no crossover and only two solder joints so changing would be straight forward although I don't know how the sonics would change worse or better.

Hmm...sreten looks like I have problems then:(
Clutching at straws I know but seems replacements are as rare as hens teeth!!
Love these speakers too just right for my room.
Do you think there will be any comparable speaker with crossover less design.
funny thing i don't know anything about speakers in general just that these sounded right to me.
Would putting in another driver invariably mean a crossover would need to be installed.
Some drivers from Seas, Scanspeak etc have full range + mid/bass units would these not be of better quality? Or is it a case of system matching or integration?

Repairs are always technically possible, in this case. There are always some commercial house experts doing it, probably in the UK too, when the original driver is available (one of the pair). They pick up the old woofer (in working condition) or the one that's going to be repaired (maybe both) they check the wire gauge/diam., they count the coils turns and they measure the impedance and DCR of the working sample for final matching. Probably you pay more than for a new/working driver.

The Dynaco's it's another example of crossover less. Many speakers are just like that. I have some exceptional Mordaunt-Short's and they are like that. It's possible to find likewise woofer drivers but we have to look at their specs (the original needs to be available or needs to be measured). The difference in this case is that the high frequency rolloff is very smooth giving a good attenuation. The inductance is given by the own coil of the driver so it doesn't need a physical crossover. This point in frequency domain has to be forcibly the point where the tweeter comes into action usually helped by a 1. order cap. The old school materials of the cone are more difficult to find now in new drivers. :cool:

Some great info Inductor cheers.
I thought without any knowledge on the subject that a direct replacement may be found and somehow made to work.
I mistakenly thought that a driver of similar characteristics with similar or higher quality might be substituted as a straight swap without critical measurement and minimal soldering and testing.
How wrong I was..I would not have a clue how to take such measurements and utilize any info gained which would translate into a best match for the Epos's.
My plan was to take the original driver to a machine shop and cut the metal basket off of the back of the original speaker, find a suitable replacement and fix to the original metal faceplate keeping the integrity and cosmetic appearance of the original speaker in tact.
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has found a suitable drop in driver and maybe considered a fix like this.
All might be in vain though as you rightly advise that driver matching to original specs/characteristics have to be measured and implemented.
Still I've found out something - always learning and will surely consider making my own speakers one day :)

How wrong I was..

My plan was to take the original driver to a machine shop and cut the metal basket off of the back of the original speaker, find a suitable replacement and fix to the original metal faceplate keeping the integrity and cosmetic appearance of the original speaker in tact.

...driver matching to original specs/characteristics have to be measured and implemented.
Yes you are right. :D
There's a lot special. It's a back-to-front design in that it uses a 17mm-long magnet gap and a 5mm-long coil as opposed to the normal system which is a long coil, perhaps 12 to 14mm long, working in a gap 6mm thick. This gives us linearity. It also gives us tremendous thermal stability because the coil is always totally enclosed by a huge amount of steel. Within the limits of sensitivity, you've got no real coil heating to worry about.

The only drawback is that it's horribly expensive. A 17mm-thick magnet plate is not exactly a cheap way of making a bass driver. The magnet system in our bass driver costs double the price of a complete bass driver in most loudspeakers. We pay $20 for the pieces in the magnet system. The average OEM 8" bass driver might be costing its manufacturer $10 or $12. Total, finished. Just stuff it in the box and there you are. So it's a masochistic way to make loudspeakers.

Robin Marshall, on the ES-14 woofer.

Many thanks stickinsect...have fired off email asking about possible repair.
also trawled again and may have found a pair up for sale at not too much ££'s.

Hi,

That is a good idea. You can keep the other drivers as spares, or sell
them as spares, often the parts go for more than the speakers.

If you fancy building a pair speakers you can repurpose your spare boxes.

rgds, sreten.

I have a pair of 14's from c'98, glorious speakers. But since we spent several years moving about including in the pretty brutal tropics one of the bass speakers has... the rubber around the outer of one bass bass driver has cracked and sounds pretty awful.
I've seen suggestions to repair it with 'rubber glue', and other suggestions like this product on E-Bay -> Epos Acoustics Es14 Schaumstoff Sicke R205 | eBay
[I have *no connection* with the above product/vendor, just to be clear].

Does anyone know how repairable they might be? Is it worth giving the above kit a go, however it works? I'd hate to just bin a previously and otherwise dazzling set of speakers. Any other suggestions welcome, many thanks!

I have a pair of 14's from c'98, glorious speakers. But since we spent several years moving about including in the pretty brutal tropics one of the bass speakers has... the rubber around the outer of one bass bass driver has cracked and sounds pretty awful.
I've seen suggestions to repair it with 'rubber glue', and other suggestions like this product on E-Bay -> Epos Acoustics Es14 Schaumstoff Sicke R205 | eBay
[I have *no connection* with the above product/vendor, just to be clear].

Does anyone know how repairable they might be? Is it worth giving the above kit a go, however it works? I'd hate to just bin a previously and otherwise dazzling set of speakers. Any other suggestions welcome, many thanks!

Nice bump of 3 years! :D I will add another one of 3 months however. :)

I just picked up a pair of 14's in pretty bad condition. They need a comprehensive restoration and I will start by trying to replace the surrounds of the woofers. They have cracks all over the place. I ordered a kit from the seller you mentioned above, but I ordered the rubber surrounds; not the foam (Schaumstoff) ones. A little bit more expensive but true to the original and more wear resistent.

I will probably receive the kit one of these days. I will go on holiday for 3 weeks on 4 April so I hope I can inform you before I'm leaving.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.