Anyone remember the coin tweak?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: nearing Feng Shui

salas said:
The most mystic tweak (that did nothing not to improve but to even change the sound) was this positive energy ladden foil strips
that this English guy who now lives in Japan sent me for free through self paid mail.

So I thought of a .... paliative. I said that some guru once told a friend (true story) that monuments load their surrounding grounds with tons of positive energy, so it was probable that I had no negative imbalances because I live 10mins walk from the Parthenon in Athens! Hence nothing to treat.
He found it a very reasonable answer.

LOL good anecdote Salas. Has made my morning :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tried and measured

I have tried it out and measured it also.
In some speakers with no good above 10k response it lends some desired brilliance. JA was wright that it did not change the dispersion. Although it changes the resonant behaviour when I runned waterfalls. It adds resonances from 3.5k up to 13k. Depends on the sturdiness of the cabinet. When put the mic right above and perpendicular, I got more HF level than without the coins but it did not alter the dispersion on frontal tweeter axis across a 30 deg arc.

I seem to recall Sam saying that Canadian coins sounded better.

One interesting thing about this speaker tweak is that it costs a different amount in different countries. I'd say it works best in canada not only because it may or may not sound better, but because its cheaper to implement making your positive results versus cost of tweak ratio go up ever so slightly.

On the other hand, I wish I knew some easy tweaks of say modifying the front panel of a box to give better dispersion of the HF sounds. For example, look at the shape of all the tweeters of these mackie studio moitors.

http://www.mackie.com/products/studiomonitors/index.html

Surely the shape of the material around the tweeter helps dispersion... Now how can we do this for DIY using normal woodcutting tools?

Pete

How about a door knob?

Attachments

• w3-517sa_3.jpeg
    w3-517sa_3.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 115
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.