15 with low xmax ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
B&C 15CL76

This one has xmax=7.00mm with a flat response.

Attachments

• BC_15CL76.jpg
    BC_15CL76.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 183
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
cheap replacement ?

you might have to lower your expectations a bit
but they will probably work ok with less than the the best

actually, opposed to what you said about most woofers having too large Xmax ... cheap woofers with short Xmax are plenty ;)

where do you live ?
preferred supplier ?
budget ?

btw, ... you will most likely have to adjust the crossover

6 needed...

The thing I forgot to mention is that whatever I get, will be multiplied by 6 as I have 3 cabinets L,C,R.
All in all, I have a couple of dead Altec 421 laying around that I could get re-coned at Halford Loudspeakers in Memphis for about $150 each. Then I could steal the Altec 15s I have in my rear A5 system. Replacing them with a couple of Cetec Gauss 15s I have hanging on the wall doing nothing. That would get me up and running.

Of course, if I'm going to spend $300 on each speaker I could always go this route...Ebay = Altec Lansing GPA 515 515-8LF NEW

and be pretty close to original.

Thanks for the suggestions,Mike

Last edited:
good luck :p :)

btw, bass system appears to be vented BR, so that might cause 'issues' with different woofers
and then comes the possible crossover troubles I mentioned earlier

but its very big, so I guess you can always make the box apperiodic instead

I sold the original N500C xovrs with the speakers. But this system is made to xovr @ 500. I'm going back with electronic xovers fixed at 500HZ / 3db slope. Some adjustment is available for the high out and they have a sub output. I'll probably add that as these cabinets drop off sharply below 40HZ.
Thanks, Mike

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Noting that the 515 series driver is 16" diameter.. I am running Iconic 165-8G in my Onkens which are virtually identical to the GPA 515-8G, except for the labeling. (Not sure what the connection was, but even the data sheets were the same)

Anyway the GPA stuff is excellent from direct experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.