Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Vintage speaker identification
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2013, 01:15 PM   #1
aulday is offline aulday  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Vintage speaker identification

Hi guys

I've had these speakers since I was about 12 and I'm now 31. My dad gave me them and I terrorised the neighbourhood for a further 8 years until I learned it was only fair to turn it down. I still have them but really want to ID them and look at restoring them to their former glory.

They were originally made using 4.5 inch woofers and a tweet: One in a bandpass enclosure as a subwoofer, one as a mid-bass, and then a tweet on top.

Anyway, in those 8 years I managed to blow all 6 drivers. I sourced various replacements and blew those too. Eventually I foolishly (not knowing anything about speaker design) cut bigger holes for the woofers and fit an 8-inch B&W as the subwoofer and a 6.5-inch as the mid-bass. And from then on the amazing deep bass response was nackered. Still there, but nothing like it used to be.

I then resprayed the tatty cabs satin black and put some vintage seas tweeters in them, sound amazing.

I would like to restore the cabs to 4.5 inch drivers and want to choose the best possible match.

There is a label on the back "The Radio People Ltd" Hong Kong and a serial number. So they could be Warfedales

They're fairly heafty speakers and the bass is lovely.

Here are some photo's of them:

http://www.aulday.be/files/DSCF1424.JPG

http://www.aulday.be/files/Photo0152.jpg

http://www.aulday.be/files/DSCF1423.JPG

http://www.aulday.be/files/Photo0155.jpg

If anyone knows anything of what they are then that would be wicked.

Thanks

Tom
Old 12th September 2013, 03:58 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm guessing it's an in-house design. If you still have an original woofer, then it may have a manufacturer's date code to at least tell us the brand and at least a range of time it and the speaker was made.

If there's no original make, model and/or T/S specs available, then finding a suitable replacement will be a crap shoot at best, especially for the BP 'sub' since these types of alignments are very sensitive to driver specs.

GM
Old 12th September 2013, 06:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The original woofer had nothing on it at all. Small 4.5 inch cones with huge magnets almost as big as the cones.

Nothing is printed anywhere apart from the radio people badge and I've heard they're often warfedales.

I built myself a sub using the exact same internal dimensions as the BP part of the floorstanders and sourced a 4.5" bass driver and it worked really well. So I recon I can use that, then I'll get a mid that's similar. It will prob be good I just wanted to find the actual original specs
Old 12th September 2013, 07:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking SPH-135KEP for the bass / mid

and SPH-135C for the sub

and keep the seas tweeters I have in there.

I used this twin coil driver when I created that replica sub and the results were very good, extra low extension: SPH-135TC
Old 12th September 2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Inductor is offline Inductor  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulday View Post

...I would like to restore the cabs to 4.5 inch drivers and want to choose the best possible match.

Tom
Tom,
If you need new drivers (x4?!) better you start your new project somewhere...
Look, (for the specs needed to start) supposing you designing a woofer/sub + mid/woofer (same size or similar model) + tweeter on that 4.5 inch diam. dimensions, then we need to know how to reverse engineering. If you are not measuring the originals for a replacement (they are not in working order anymore) then we need to know what the project is going to be. Let's say (let's going flexible for now with the internal net volumes here) You are going to need 3/4 vol for the woofer(s) and 1/4 vol for the mid/driver. Important:
1. How much do you measure to the total net volume?
2. By the way what tweeter do you have, or, are you going to buy new ones at a later date?
Old 12th September 2013, 07:54 PM   #6
blistard is offline blistard  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Could be the ellipson 1303. But then demolished.
Old 12th September 2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Inductor is offline Inductor  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default Elipson 1303

That's certainly very nice...
A vintage and classic.
(I will give a look later (tomorrow).
Le forum Audio Vintage • Afficher le sujet - Elipson 1303
Google

It would be very (of historic value) interesting and instigating to take those speakers to working order as a vintage statement with new drivers perhaps (to spec close to the originals or a little better if possible, not only because of new drivers available not always better for the purpose, but with the new tools and simulations) but with the same classic design philosophy and purpose that they were built for.
Old 12th September 2013, 08:22 PM   #8
blistard is offline blistard  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

http://www.passion-elipson.com/cabas...son_1303_1.jpg
There should be a woofer inside the speakers
Old 12th September 2013, 08:33 PM   #9
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The one set of Radio People boxes i had thru here were KEF licenced clones.

dave
Old 12th September 2013, 11:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

holy cr*p they REALLY look like the elipson 1303!

I was wrong I think it's a 5 inch setup sorry. Yes there is a woofer inside.

And the same little white internal vent tubes to the tweeter as you see here: http://www.passion-elipson.com/cabas...son_1303_1.jpg

Mine was the version with a 13cm bass driver as quoted in this post: elipson 1303 replica?

Pretty confident this is a positive ID.

I currently have SEAS H087 tweeters and I really like their sound. I have replicated the sub inside these floorstanders with success so I propose to fit these drivers to the cabs:

SPH-135KEP for the bass / mid

and SPH-135C for the sub

These are the correct size compared to the original so I think I may be in luck

These cabs have such a heafty solid bass response, sound firmly planted into the floor

Vintage speaker identificationHide this!Advertise here!