Q:monacor sph-165kep

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gorlich Podzust? Care to elaborate on that?
Just courious since I've never heard of it, and yahoo search says nothing :D

I might give the 160 a chance in a TL 2 way with a Vifa tweet (on hand)
It would be my first atempt at sutch a design, and I would like to give it a try.
I also have a dt-280 around.

Hello, I saw a post a few days ago but can no longer find it. I am interested in the Monacor SPH-165KEP and the smaller (135?). No one seems to stock these in US or Canada. Could someone please provide names of European distributors, retailers, etc. that will sell and ship to N. America? Thanks!

Monacor MidWoofers - Europe Audio

165 KEP = 1,71 kg
135 KEP = 1,52 kg

Fedex to USA Europe Audio

Monacor Bass-Mid and Bass Units

Some people used to have trouble with Europe Audio
delivering stuff. The owner has responded somewhere on this
forum and promised to make things work better. A buddy of mine
bought parts for a two way project, everything went OK, with a
delivery being late about a week or two.Try contacting him to
see how things go when the parts are not in stock.

Monacor MidWoofers - Europe Audio

165 KEP = 1,71 kg
135 KEP = 1,52 kg

Fedex to USA Europe Audio

Monacor Bass-Mid and Bass Units

Some people used to have trouble with Europe Audio
delivering stuff. The owner has responded somewhere on this
forum and promised to make things work better. A buddy of mine
bought parts for a two way project, everything went OK, with a
delivery being late about a week or two.Try contacting him to
see how things go when the parts are not in stock.

OK,thanks! Now; onto more research. Some people seem to like these drivers, others not. I've also read that the (OEM) TSP's published are not very accurate!??? Any comments, experiences, testing/measurements, etc. regarding these Monacor kevlars?

I haven't had a chance to test these, know from experience
that any normal driver is capable of reasonably good performance,
mainly depending on one's skills. I am sure they are no exception.

Do you have any particular reason why you want Monacors?

I like woven fiber cone materials like carbon fiber, kevlar, fiberglass and paper composites with these materials. Of course, some other materials work just fine too. I don't like metal cones for 2-way because of the harsh break-up on the high end. I don't mind metal cone woofers for a 3-way. I looked into the HiVi F5 and F6 but they are not smooth enough for me. I've looked at some of the Airborne fiber drivers but the TSPs aren't what I'm looking for either. So, I'd like to try the Monacors. Focal doesn't seem to be available anymore and Eton's are higher priced. Basically, I'd like a wide, flat and smooth FR all the way past 3KHz (up to 4KHz is even better). I have many other design ideas as well; I'm retired so I "dream up" many different ideas almost daily!

I do have a pair SPH-200KE NOS which is better (at least based on measurement and test listening) than the smaller brother.
I do had both Monacor but I'm more after metal or hard paper cone drivers.
So I sold the 165 KEP and very likely I will sell the 200 to.
I do had Audax woven carbon fibre driver also (same size like the 200). If I would have to pick one out of the of the two for the rest of my life I would go with the Monacor SPH-200KE.
These my opinion only
Greetings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.