Q:monacor sph-165kep

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive had the sph-165 kep in a 4 way system for a number of years by now, it actually performs pretty close to monacor's specs. I have been quite impressed with it, especially counting in that back when I bought it, it was about 90USD, but counting out the fact that it's relatively cheap, it's a good mid-bass at any price.

Only got one bad thing to say about them, the colour of the cone is changing over time, and its not an insignificant change.

Magura:)

Leeuwarden said:

Hello Magura,

Is this speaker "the secret tip" I've been waiting for? Could you compare it with another midrange? (I know, I know, that's a dangerous question to ask...)

Jan

I will try to stay clear of the usual gibberish....and stick to the facts.

I would compare it to and have had something to do with lately, scan speak 15M/4531K00. The scan speak is like 3 times as expensive, and it caused me a lot of trouble to get the XO right, in fact I'm not sure it's right still.

In my opinion Monacor is very overlooked when it comes to speakers. The quality of their top range units is very high, the support offered by monacor is very fine, and they are very cheap compared to most other brands. I have built a few speakers with monacor units, it's been a pleasent surprise every time.

Well, I cannot conribute anything on the 165KEP, but I'm just about to use two 135KEP's in my new center speaker.

I didn't build them into the cabinet yet, but let them play just free-air, and I was amazed about the broad bandwith of the things! In my first measurements the T/S were not perfect up to spec, but they didn't play a lot, so it was not realy a fair test.

This week I hope to test them with the cabinets, and I will measure again.

O, one more thing: The kevlar will indeed change color. I have two units, and they do not have the same color. I hope that over time, they will eventualy match ;)

I hope it is realy as good as the scanspeak :hot:

4real said:

O, one more thing: The kevlar will indeed change color. I have two units, and they do not have the same color. I hope that over time, they will eventualy match ;)

I hope it is realy as good as the scanspeak :hot:

Sorry to disappoint you but the colour difference of the kevlar cones just got worse over time in my case. Mine are close to 7 years old now.

As for being as good as the scanspeak, I will not use a different mid than the 165 kep if I can avoid it, the 165 is just so much easier to deal with than the wast majority of mid drivers, especially since it's got so broad bandwidth that you can cross it over according to the treble's/bass's needs. It will go deeper and higher than most other mid's.

Magura said:

Sorry to disappoint you but the colour difference of the kevlar cones just got worse over time in my case. Mine are close to 7 years old now.

Oh well, I just have to live with it. Sound quality will make up for this little inconvenience ;)

As for being as good as the scanspeak, I will not use a different mid than the 165 kep if I can avoid it, the 165 is just so much easier to deal with than the wast majority of mid drivers, especially since it's got so broad bandwidth that you can cross it over according to the treble's/bass's needs. It will go deeper and higher than most other mid's.

Yes, I see what you mean. The frequency plots of the 135 and 165 are about the same (the 165 has a slight decent, the 135 not), and crossing is indeed easy :) (although I'm going to use a 5th order crossover :p ). I actualy don't expect it to be as good as the scanspeaks, but it would be nice :clown:

I have the 135KEP's in an encusure now (12 liter BR @ about 50 Hz).

They sound great, and the curve specified bij monacor is fairly correct! There is just one thing:

At high SPL levels, the air that comes ou of the hole around phase plug makes some noise! With normal music it is not that audible, but with a pure sine, it is very obvious, specially arround the BR resonance (then the preasure inside the case ie at max)! It is not realy a problem for me, since it will be a center speaker, but still, it is an issue.

I wonder if the 165kep has the same problem?

I haven't played around with the 165kep but I do own a 135kep. It's a wonderfull speaker, great mid and tight bass response. Not really low, but the bass quality is very good.

As for the 165kep, I only heard positive things about this unit. It's probably one of (maybe the best) 6,5" inch Kevlar unit around.
The membran doesn't even break up like most of those kevlars.
It was also tested in a german magazine (klang&ton), they said it would also be a great midrange speaker!

One other monacor unit that is topnotch is the 200KE, I made some studio monitors with them (combined with a Dayton PT2, really).
These are one of the best speakers I did ever build. And yes the Dayton Pt2 IS good if you know what you're doing. I even crossed it over at 2k! But I don't tell how I got it sounding so well, hehe.
All I can say is that it took me hours and hours of tweaking before it sounded correct with a 2k xover.
About the 200KE, this one goes low! And it also has a kevlar cone that doesn't break up, 2k is no problem for this 8" unit (also tested in Klang&Ton)

I would totally recommend those monacor kevlar units, superb price/performance ratio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.