Scanspeak 10cm Wideband 10F/4424G00 in a two way, sealed enclosure. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2013, 04:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to mistertrent
Default Scanspeak 10cm Wideband 10F/4424G00 in a two way, sealed enclosure.

Hey guys, I've been researching a small but not tiny, two way enclosure with really low volume, and I've worked out I think, that this Scanspeak 10cm Wideband, 10F/4424G00 will be perfect in a sealed enclosure of 0.4 liters / 400cc for a QTC of 0.707 ... I'm trying to just double check my work because I don't trust myself... does anyone think that this will be a bad solution?

Ran it through 3 different calculators, and it seems o.k. But I'm still not 100% sure.
Old 10th September 2013, 05:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yep, size is ok, but you will get basically nothing down low with that tiny xmax.
Planning on using a sub?
Old 10th September 2013, 06:53 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You calculation is right, but...

With F3 not getting close to 200 Hz, you'll have no bass and be missing much of the lower midrange. Given that this is an excellent mid-tweeter adding a tweeter imbalances things further an drastically complicates with the addition of an XO.

I have the 8 ohm version of this, it is good sounding as far as it goes. Expensive thou. And out-performed IMO all round by things like the Fostex FF85wk (althou needs a slightly bigger box).

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif Scan-10F-4-sealed.gif (47.8 KB, 295 views)
Old 10th September 2013, 07:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ahh darn. My aim is to find a perfect bass/mid driver for a considerably small enclosure. I want it to be as wide range as it can possibly be without a sub, and I'd prefer a tweeter due to the actual cabinets plans... it's more of an artistic center-piece, but I want the audio to be amazing... not just some drivers thrown into something that looks amazing. So it's taking me a while to get it all together.
Old 10th September 2013, 07:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have been looking at the QTS of all the speakers as a guide using this ... QTS parameters How to Pick the Right speaker for your Speaker Cabinets ... to work out which to use in a low volume. But I think I might be off somewhere... so the QTS should be 0.29 for a small sealed enclosure... but do I need to make sure the XMax is larger so it can actually throw some bass out?
Old 10th September 2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

You really need to define the F3, or the Fs for your application. 40Hz with 6lt is imo much better than 100Hz with 0.5lt. Paul Carmody has some designs that may interest you.
Old 10th September 2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

How about bigger woofer (around 6") with high Qts and small magnet. To compensate for the bigger driver, put it in open baffle or H-frame....(so you have equal speaker size). For nearfield listening you will get lower notes because bigger drivers have lower Fs.
Old 10th September 2013, 09:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I've made speakers a lot before, I just always double check everything around here because my budget is retarded. haha. If I get something wrong it'll be stupid.

The design of the cabinet is fixed... the size is not fixed, but the design is generally fixed. It has to be closed and small volume, I can go a bit larger, but I'm sticking to 4 inch maximum for now. It's not being constructed to be a speaker as such. It's more an art piece, with a speaker in it. So I need to stay low volume. It has to be around 4 inch to fit into what I'm planning, but I wanted it to be an amazing speaker as well, if I could. If it needs a sub some time down the track that's fine, but for now I'd like it to be just really small desktop reference level monitor kind of deal.

The F3 didn't really seem to concern me, the accuracy and performance of the speakers was more important, but if these drivers I had already picked are too mid-range for the job, I am still looking for a driver. I'd prefer an F3 of around 100hz. But if I can't get that in a small enclosure. ... I'll have to go higher, and include a sub. I did notice the high F3 of around 200hz for these drivers... arrgh.
Old 10th September 2013, 12:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If I chose to use this 10F/4424G00 ... what kind of tweeter do you all think would be best?
Old 10th September 2013, 12:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Sent you a pm.

Hide this!Advertise here!