Best Type of Soft Dome ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2013, 12:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best Type of Soft Dome ?

Some soft domes stick mostly above the surface and some are buried in some type of horn. I am trying to find if the protruded or the type that is just below the surface in a circular shallow horn is best.
Old 10th September 2013, 12:48 AM   #2
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

I guess it would really depend on the crossover.
Generally I've heard that "horn" loaded domes have better dispersion and lower crossover points than the equivelant dome tweeter.
But again that depends on many factors.
One real benefit to a shllow horn or waveguide loaded dome tweeter is the fact that the tweeter dome is closer to the woofer neutral center.
This can be very helpful since you don't need to worry as much about time delay with the tweeter being too far physically forward.
Old 10th September 2013, 01:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Oy. This is about as banal a thread as all those other entitled something like "what is the best 6" driver". It's kind of like saying "cars come in rear wheel drive, all wheel drive, and front wheel drive and I want to know which is best"? So what is best? There are some great drivers for $50 and for $500. What is it that you want to "maximize' exactly? You can't just turn all those dials up to 11 and get the best of everything, even when paying a premium price. Adding a horn to increase SPL will changes dispersion compared to a proud dome. The on-axis frequency response will be changed. The distortion characteristics will be changed as well. Which of these tradeoffs do you want...

Only you can decide which of these characteristics is better for your application and budget. Maybe you should be asking members for info about the differences, and then you can make an informed decision... as well as provide an informative thread that others can read and learn from later.
Old 10th September 2013, 01:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

There is no single "best" of anything, otherwise that one would be the only one on the market, and that would be your only option. Luckily, there are many options available, but you need to know what you want; and to know what you want, you need a plan. In other words, if you want advice, we need more info. What are you trying to do, build from scratch, repair something, improve it, or what?

Mike
Old 10th September 2013, 11:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Oh, my thoughts were distracted by something, I meant to ask which type of dome has better dispersion.
Old 10th September 2013, 11:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I think 'what is best' threads are basically surveys or polls. If the majority of brand "X" tweeter types gets the most positive responses, therefore it "MUST" be the best right? - WRONG!
Old 10th September 2013, 01:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It's not really possible to answer that question directly, there are too many variables. In my opinion, it's much more important to look at dispersion over the range of frequencies that it's intended to be used, and eliminate the ones with large variations in dispersion within that desired range of frequencies. Those characteristcs should then be similar to the dispersion of the rest of the system to try to achieve the most uniform power response. If you can get reasonably uniform power response, wide dispersion, uniform frequency response within the entire sound field, low levels of distortion, (and on and on) - congradulations, you found the holy grail of speaker building! In other words, one needs to look at the system as a whole, and get all of the individual components to play together nicely. Sorry to say, speaker design is not a trivial endevor, and nobody said this stuff is easy. But when one does get it right, it's really rewarding - and FUN!

Mike
Old 10th September 2013, 01:45 PM   #8
jmsent is offline jmsent  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewhipper View Post
Oh, my thoughts were distracted by something, I meant to ask which type of dome has better dispersion.
You have to first define what you mean by "better dispersion". If you mean wider dispersion, then the answer is pretty much: the smaller the diaphragm, the greater the dispersion as frequency increases. Also, the smaller the diaphragm, the higher the cutoff frequency on the bottom end. No free lunch in speakers, ever.
Old 12th September 2013, 02:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well, in general characteristics would a 1" protruded (outie) tweeter have wider dispersion than a 1" innie in a shallow horn about the depth of the top of the dome ? So far, I have found any low cost horn to have a bit of it's own sound added. This may be good in pro sound, a band wants their own identity. But a home stereo would need to be neutral.

The outie is easy to crunch, the innie is protected, a good tradeoff, because I can always find a way to crunch an outie.
Old 13th September 2013, 04:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I got a Goldwood cheapie GT-510 shallow horn soft dome. Dispersion is excellent, very little beaming, better than I expected for a cone or dome. I'm used to a Linaeum ET-19, must have been perfected just a bit too late, one of their last models I think. But the soft dome is a good bit smoother on cymbal crashes, and the sound of any cymbal tap is like a brass cymbal, not a thin plastic sounding hiss. Triangles ring like wow, I didn't expect this to be that good.

I would say the shallow horn dome is my way to go, it's well protected from crunches. I expected a bit of that speaker in a coffee can timbre from being in the horn, but only the very slightest coloration.

I wonder what Goldwood's high end stuff is like ? I'm surprised at the cheapie. $12 at Parts Express. Says it is a silk dome on the back. The magnet is huge and heavy.

My guess is a lot of you are already familiar with this tweeter. Much better than most fast food speakers, but I'm also guessing this is going to be like me in my early days of flying model airplanes. I thought I was cooking it with my little 42 inch Cherokee flying at 65 to 70 mph. Ya ain't seen nuttin yet , newb.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=270-176

Last edited by Wavewhipper; 13th September 2013 at 04:58 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!