Waveguide for XT25 - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2013, 10:19 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=AndrewT;3638188]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinMonster View Post
And is this also saying that if the speaker does not have a bullet there is no point in fitting a waveguide?
I supplied the links to Dave's web site. If you visit the site, he has various wave guides for many tweeters other than the XT25 that dont have the phase plug. If you look at the test results I imagine it would make clear everything that is giving rise to your questions. Many tweeters are used with wave guides. As far as dave;s product's you're limited to what he sells. Many wave guides have been used with great success with non-phase plug tweeters. I personally like the XT25/60 and think any argument against it is negated if used with a wave guide so for me, the tweeter search ends with the XT25 and Dave's 8x5 WG.
Old 19th September 2013, 11:42 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

SpinMonster....
I did a very casual test versus the XT25 on a flat baffle. Tweeter in WG readings:
800hz +2db
1khz. +2.5
1.25khz +2.5
1.6khz. +3
2khz. + 5
2.5khz. +5
3.1khz. +5
4khz. +4.5
Old 20th September 2013, 12:31 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

An 8uf cap will cut you 6db at 2500hz. You would be down about 22db by the res freq which really cleans up the lower end. You may have a slight dip at 1900 to 2200 but thats a minor 1-2db vs the suppression of higher order distortion from 4-10K and F2 and F3 at the cross over range. Your power handing also climbs a lot.

If you have EQ you can fix any irregularities. I think you said you had a minidsp.

I wish you lived closer. I would have loved to see/hear your speaker. It looks like a winning combo.
Old 20th September 2013, 02:15 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

Many thanks for the info.
I'm looking at integrating my Symasym amps into the rear of the cabinets. I built them initially to fit into the stands of the Centaurs, but after extensive listening, decided there was no significant improvement,if any, so put the stock Apogee crossovers back. Though I must say I prefer the Symasyms actively driving my other speakers.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:20 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Today, I ran the speakers biamped with my Symasyms and a buffer preamp. I readjusted the minidsp and set the high and low crossover slopes to 12db LR. Now this is a WOW, only because I have just heard the most convincing piano recording (Horowitz in Moscow) as never before.
I haven't tried the cap yet, but I did find a couple of spare 6.8uf and 8.2uf caps to try when I can stop listening to these.
Peter
Old 21st September 2013, 01:16 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

The cap removes a layer of grain you just dont realize is there until its cleaned up.

I agree. Piano, female vocals, and most of all horns sound amazing. I used to like the bass in my system the most. Four 15's and 8000watts make for the most detailed clean notes but now the midrange is what I love the most in my system. I went back to all my CDs just rediscovering what I didnt know was in the recording. These speakers are some of the cheapest I've built but give me the most satifaction which is about all money can do for you.

My next set of wave guides just shipped from Dave. I want to build a small bedroom system with them.
Old 21st September 2013, 08:51 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

What drivers are you using?
I built these cabinets to test three configurations.
1. 2.5 towers with Xt25 and Peerless woofers.
2. Tang band full range with 5-1/4" mass loaded TL sub.
3. These WG 2 ways.
All were excellent, but the WG version is exceptional. I really appreciate all the comments in this thread that helped me along.
Peter
Old 21st September 2013, 03:45 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

My first wave guide speaker....lots of pics
Old 21st September 2013, 06:05 PM   #109
Greggo is offline Greggo  United States
diyAudio Member

Doesn't the crossover slope in MiniDSP negate the need to put a cap on the tweeter?
Old 21st September 2013, 07:37 PM   #110
Juhazi is online now Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Doesn't the crossover slope in MiniDSP negate the need to put a cap on the tweeter?
Simply said - no, not just with xo slopes! minidsp has fixed xo slopes like LR12, LR24 etc. The 6dB/octave correction must be done with parametric EQ by adjusting Fs, gain and Q to simulate a cap. This should be verified with measurements to get perfect xo match.

A real capasitor works also for protection of the tweeter for accidental harsh burrs and chunks caused by the excited diyer doing misconnections with his amps and minidsp!

"Been there, done that"
Juhazi
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient

Hide this!Advertise here!