Synergy Horns. No drawbacks, no issues? - Page 39 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2013, 08:13 PM   #381
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Run the mids open baffle (open frame drivers without rear chamber) on the synergy and you get a nice effect too. It helps to have a high Qts driver.
I'm going that route with mine. Chronicled in the thread "Monster Massive"

The dipole arrangement has a few advantages:

1) The sounds doesn't seem 'attached' to the horn. The horn disappears better.
2) It reduces the "I'm listening to a giant set of headphones" effect that you get with regular Synergy horns. (In a club or church, you *want* that effect, because it allows you to array them better, but at home, I like to minimize that effect.)
3) It's easier to build, easier to find midranges
Old 15th November 2013, 08:40 PM   #382
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
I have heard some system with a big horn and big woofer that were simply awful, so I don't think that one can assume that combination will always be great.
Well of course you are right , but the thing is the vast majority if them have the potential to sound great. FWIW the more I learn from the design angle the more I'm certain that yours already do, and anything that I wish I could change about them is something that you would too if it were economically feasible. Case in point, I now know that a dedicated tweeter midrange is a complete mistake when using a compression driver in a home environment, with the headroom available there is simply no reason not to stretch it as far as the harmonic distortion component on a given horn with a given driver for a given spl will allow, and in a home as opposed to a theater or club that will be a LOT of headroom indeed! I'm so glad you are getting smarter E.G. I was concerned for you when I was younger and knew more.
Old 15th June 2014, 01:52 PM   #383
frangus is offline frangus  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteleoni View Post
My thoughts?

Don't control reflections from a great speaker like that at all! For listening purposes? Instead create them! Go with your Synergy/headphone type design don't change a thing. Do this: Get another tiny set of full range speakers, (i.e minimus 7 et al) bandpass the living crap ( yes a very steep hump all middle) out of them and place them *behind* your Synergies facing into into the walls. Drive them (through separate cheap amp) with same signal or digital room sim and mix them in at only a few percent to taste.

Think I'm kidding? I'm not. Surround sound "reverb" sounds goofy as hell because of where it originates, this does not sound goofy at all, vastly natural in fact.
In fact, it is an improvement of what we already do in the studio, only we have to do it in the same dimension (same speakers) and you would be amazed at how much band passing is actually needed, I'm not even going to tell you, because a guy with your 'skillz" will figure it out very, very fast. the bose 901 crap had it backwards, the reverb tanks from decades past had it wrong, surround sound has it wrong now. I'm not guessing this I know it.
what is the purpose of band passing the rear firing set of speakers? What are the cut off frequencies?

Hide this!Advertise here!