Crossover advice needed - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2013, 01:16 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
I have absolutely no idea of what a BR box is,I take it that Fs is frequency? If it is, that is basically what I'm asking about here? How do I find the crossover frequency? What do people do if they are in my position when they cant get the specs for a perfectly good driver,throw it in the bin? Maybe someone can recognize what type or model of driver the woofer is and I can go from there?
You are turning DIY into GIY (guess it yourself).
Old 2nd September 2013, 01:28 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

When people don't know (the reference/model), they will have to measure the driver or take it to someone that can do it.
When, like some member, don't want to go with tech simulations and measurements they go here (link below), but they usually have the manufacturer parameters sheet already.
Introduction to designing crossovers without measurement

ps. to know the freq. of the crossover you need to know the T/S parameters and the roll offs/break-ups for the drivers (usually in a graphic format). then, in the end, adjust the final output of the horn to match that of the woofer.
Old 3rd September 2013, 02:30 AM   #13
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How do I find the crossover frequency? What do people do if they are in my position when they cant get the specs for a perfectly good driver,throw it in the bin?
All the specs can be measured and they'll help you in building a box.

The specs aren't necessary in choosing a crossover frequency. You should be able to cross anywhere below 1kHz, and higher if you're crossing to a horn.
Old 5th September 2013, 06:02 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea of what a BR box is,I take it that Fs is frequency? If it is, that is basically what I'm asking about here? How do I find the crossover frequency? What do people do if they are in my position when they cant get the specs for a perfectly good driver,throw it in the bin? Maybe someone can recognize what type or model of driver the woofer is and I can go from there?
If you have a frequency generator (could be a PC with free software plus a good amp) and an oscilloscope, you have just about anything you need to determine the speaker parameters yourself. That will most likely be better than some looked-up specs, even if you can find them.
Search the web for something like "determining Thiele-Small parameters" or so. I never designed an enclosure or a crossover without measuring the exact TSP's myself. The specs were just a guideline. So do not worry that you don't have the specs.
BR, by the way, refers to Bass Reflex, one of the standard enclosure designs which your enclosure might be from what I can tell by looking at your pics.

Hide this!Advertise here!