Unfolding A Khorn. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2013, 06:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Unfolding A Khorn.

So I have always thought the Khorn had it nailed from as low as I give a damn about up to some minor issues between it and the mid horn. Assuming that I don't give a damn about the length and the only fold I want to keep is the corner it loads to, what would an unfolded Khorn look like? It seems like it might be an easy build? Also I would expect a nicer curve right?
Old 1st September 2013, 09:22 AM   #2
DrBoar is online now DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I assume that you mean that you keep the bifurcation in the corner and the final wall sections in the khorn and have the driver facing the corner with a straight horn section from the driver to the split in the corner.

You would get rid of two 90 degree bends or rather one 90 degree and one 120-130 degree bend. That would be better in theory at least but only perhaps in practice.

The problem is that at 50 Hz the cone is uniform piston and a point source way smaller than the wavelenght. At 500 Hz the cone is less than uniform and the the size of the 15" cone is not anly longer a minute fraction of the wavelength. So the horn throat becomes critical and how errors at the throat adds or substracts to the errors at bends.

I played around with a LaScala type of loudspeaker adding corner reflectors and a reflector in front of the driver. These reflectors should improve the transmission of the high range around the bends. In practice some driver benefited from reflectors some did not and some got worse! So for any given driver the best could be 1. No reflectors 2. All reflectors. 3. Only the bifurcation reflector 4. Only the corner reflector.

Bruce Edgar tested the "rubber throat" constriction in the khorn. His findings was that it changed path differences for the bend and that improved response with some driver but not all.

If you allready have khorns, make some wood reflectors and use double sided tape to put in different combinations and see if you get any improvement with your bassdriver, midrange combo. Even small changes in phase angle can change how things adds up!
Old 1st September 2013, 04:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Actually what I want I a simple bass horn with the same tradeoffs as the khorn firing into the corners, but a hell of a lot less carpenter and cabinet work. I have more room than patience and I want to duplicate that sound .
Old 1st September 2013, 05:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Or you could say that I want a straight horn with the same cutoff but made to fire into the. corners using same type of drivers . A simplified Khorn with no apologies to space gods. it can be 4 feet out in the room if it must.

Last edited by peteleoni; 1st September 2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 1st September 2013, 05:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Actuually I need some less expensive khorns. Damn you Katrina!
Old 1st September 2013, 05:22 PM   #6
fpitas is offline fpitas  United States
diyAudio Member

One idea I've seen is to place the bulk of the horn below the floor, and have it turn up into the corner of the room for the final part of the flare. Obviously, some holes in the floor are necessary.
Old 1st September 2013, 05:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteleoni View Post
... what would an unfolded Khorn look like?
Like this. Each color represents a span between folds.

This shows the acoustical path only.
Attached Images
File Type: png UnfoldedKHorn.png (5.5 KB, 185 views)
Old 1st September 2013, 06:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Holy Crap! It's every bit as tough to build unfolded! Ok next idea straight horn made to fire into corner using x driver, getting similar high efficiency 35 to a Klipsch-ish mid horn?
Old 1st September 2013, 06:06 PM   #9
fpitas is offline fpitas  United States
diyAudio Member

Can't you model that in something like Hornresp?
Old 1st September 2013, 06:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yeah if I knew what to model. (-: I do know I want something that looks more like a megaphone made to fire into a corner. That has to be a fairly straightforward plan ? I can't however visualise how it would look at the mouth into the corner. To me this seems like something worth doing for a number of reasons.

Hide this!Advertise here!