Unfolding A Khorn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I have always thought the Khorn had it nailed from as low as I give a damn about up to some minor issues between it and the mid horn. Assuming that I don't give a damn about the length and the only fold I want to keep is the corner it loads to, what would an unfolded Khorn look like? It seems like it might be an easy build? Also I would expect a nicer curve right?

I assume that you mean that you keep the bifurcation in the corner and the final wall sections in the khorn and have the driver facing the corner with a straight horn section from the driver to the split in the corner.

You would get rid of two 90 degree bends or rather one 90 degree and one 120-130 degree bend. That would be better in theory at least but only perhaps in practice.

The problem is that at 50 Hz the cone is uniform piston and a point source way smaller than the wavelenght. At 500 Hz the cone is less than uniform and the the size of the 15" cone is not anly longer a minute fraction of the wavelength. So the horn throat becomes critical and how errors at the throat adds or substracts to the errors at bends.

I played around with a LaScala type of loudspeaker adding corner reflectors and a reflector in front of the driver. These reflectors should improve the transmission of the high range around the bends. In practice some driver benefited from reflectors some did not and some got worse! So for any given driver the best could be 1. No reflectors 2. All reflectors. 3. Only the bifurcation reflector 4. Only the corner reflector.

Bruce Edgar tested the "rubber throat" constriction in the khorn. His findings was that it changed path differences for the bend and that improved response with some driver but not all.

If you allready have khorns, make some wood reflectors and use double sided tape to put in different combinations and see if you get any improvement with your bassdriver, midrange combo. Even small changes in phase angle can change how things adds up!

... what would an unfolded Khorn look like?
Like this. Each color represents a span between folds.

This shows the acoustical path only.

Attachments

• UnfoldedKHorn.png
    UnfoldedKHorn.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 217
Yeah if I knew what to model. (-: I do know I want something that looks more like a megaphone made to fire into a corner. That has to be a fairly straightforward plan ? I can't however visualise how it would look at the mouth into the corner. To me this seems like something worth doing for a number of reasons.

re'
"Assuming that I don't give a damn about the length and the only fold I want to keep is the corner it loads to"

Look at Wayne Parham's pi corner horn base bin for a simple base horn firing into a corner. It's exactly what you asked for in the original post.

Ok, now if I could interpret the model into sheets of plywood cut with a saw, I would be there. Trust me I have stared at the innards of a khorn in abject wonder.No not marveling at PWKs obvious genius, but at the huevos of the carpenter. I want the same thing but simple to build y . Maybe not possible.

Straight conical is rather unlikely; a low horn cut-off frequency would require a truly massive horn. I would think you'd want to approximate an exponential expansion of area, or perhaps hyperbolic or tractrix. That could of course be done in an approximate way with straight-sided sections.

E
Another problem with your idea....
By having only one fold at the corner of the wall u will have standing waves based on your horn throat length.
Those are eliminated with multiple folds.

Yes these are the issues that I was wondering about. At one time I was postulating a lascala faxing the corner design with one more fold the corner! I thought that that may have merit perhaps get you down to 34 or so. I had thougt it may be as simple as a baffle in the corner and a triangle table top to corner. A two piece extension of lascala.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.