Dayton RS Speaker Resolution - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2013, 02:58 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Danny
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarb9999 View Post
Of course, you sell your own line of drivers that look to be direct competitors to the RS series .. so I feel that it is fair to disclose that .. as it may sway "your opinion".
I do sell drivers, and I design drivers for many companies. Some of them are even similar in looks to the PE drivers mentioned. Like these that I designed for Tyler Acoustics.

Click the image to open in full size.

But I am not here pushing drivers. I am offering my opinion on one. I'm an honest guy. If it were great then I'd say it was great whether I had anything to do with it or not. If I like something I say that I like it, and if I don't then I say that I don't.
Old 1st September 2013, 04:57 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

From the looks of it, you're into passive cross overs and no horn loading on a tweeter. As I said, application is everything. Used with a tweeter in a wave guide crossed low, there is no issue with break-up or ringing. I will never again build a system without a wave guide. I agree in the simple systems you have pictured, there are better choices. RS drivers are not for use with shallow crossovers or with tweeters that cant cross low.
Old 1st September 2013, 05:21 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinMonster View Post
From the looks of it, you're into passive cross overs and no horn loading on a tweeter. As I said, application is everything. Used with a tweeter in a wave guide crossed low, there is no issue with break-up or ringing. I will never again build a system without a wave guide. I agree in the simple systems you have pictured, there are better choices. RS drivers are not for use with shallow crossovers or with tweeters that cant cross low.
Oh, I have designed all kinds of speakers from the simple two way, to line sources, to open baffle designs ranging in retail price from $199 a pair to $27,000 a pair. I have also designed quite a few tweeter wave guides, and will be offering a wave guide for a particular tweeter very soon. Wave guides can actually be quite tricky to properly design.

And your statement in the last line is very much true. I also very much favor low crossover points, but am not a fan of having to use complex crossovers to control driver behavior. I much prefer designing the driver to have good behavior to begin with.
Old 1st September 2013, 05:55 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I certainly appreciate everyone's opinion on the Dayton RS series of drivers. I haven't quite made up my mind yet. In some respects, I am leaning towards not using them. So far, it seems that like they can be very respectable in sound quality when used correctly (which is true for every speaker), but I get the sense that they are not as high quality as I am looking for. One day I will certainly build a high-end Seas or ScanSpeak kit for my system, but those are also overkill for a $200 tube amp kit. I was thinking that woofers in the $50-$70 price range would be more than sufficient to get a much music as possible out of the K12G kit. According to Zaph Audio, the Dayton RS seemed to be good value as was able to compete, measurement wise, with other speakers costing double their price.

My goal is still to have each of my DIY speakers be of sufficient resolution that they be as good as or better then the amplifier they are hooked up to. I'm sure one day I'll have a nice $1k solid state amp and probably another DIY tube amp (maybe I'll upgrade to KT88's for example), but I don't foresee myself with a $10k McIntosh either. Right now all I have is a S5 Electronics K12G that I plan on modifying and I want to build something that is going to equal it.

At the moment, I listen near-field (4 feet) with small two-way speakers in a very small room.
Old 2nd September 2013, 05:14 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwavesteve View Post
I certainly appreciate everyone's opinion on the Dayton RS series of drivers. I haven't quite made up my mind yet. In some respects, I am leaning towards not using them. So far, it seems that like they can be very respectable in sound quality when used correctly (which is true for every speaker), but I get the sense that they are not as high quality as I am looking for. One day I will certainly build a high-end Seas or ScanSpeak kit for my system, but those are also overkill for a $200 tube amp kit. I was thinking that woofers in the $50-$70 price range would be more than sufficient to get a much music as possible out of the K12G kit. According to Zaph Audio, the Dayton RS seemed to be good value as was able to compete, measurement wise, with other speakers costing double their price.

My goal is still to have each of my DIY speakers be of sufficient resolution that they be as good as or better then the amplifier they are hooked up to. I'm sure one day I'll have a nice $1k solid state amp and probably another DIY tube amp (maybe I'll upgrade to KT88's for example), but I don't foresee myself with a $10k McIntosh either. Right now all I have is a S5 Electronics K12G that I plan on modifying and I want to build something that is going to equal it.

At the moment, I listen near-field (4 feet) with small two-way speakers in a very small room.
I think you are drawing the wrong conclusions.

Go to this website and order the wave guides for the XT25 or SB29. You will have a $70 investment to be able to run a tweeter to 1500hz. I have it and will never build a system without a waveguide again. The resulting tweeter will have wall to wall dispersion consistency unlike a bare tweeter. Power handling goes through the roof and distortion drops off the map. Even if you dont use RS drivers definitely get the wave guides regardless of midbass driver.
acoustic waveguides

Once you have a tweeter with a waveguide, none of the negatives you read apply to these RS drivers. You will cross low and have bass and midbass performance that matches scan speak levels. I can afford anything this hobby has to offer and my current system performance negates any benefit from using the big dollar drivers. The high freq break up and ringing is off the radar.

Read about this simple low cost build. It can be done with one RS180:
My first wave guide speaker....lots of pics

If you dont want to use a wave guide, the Scan Speak HDS tweeter can cross at 1500 all on its own.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 2nd September 2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 2nd September 2013, 05:29 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Dayton RS Series. One should be aware that with metal cone woofers, it's not simply a question of severe cone breakup. The effects can be felt a decade downstream. In other words, if the sharpest breakup peak is at 10kHz, it is possible the cone rings down to 1kHz. This can be verified in measurements.

Obviously, the best way to use any metal cone woofers would be strictly for its' pistonic properties, but often times, we try to stretch it for a 2-way. Whether this causes the mid-range to "sound veiled and lack a natural smoothness" remains to be seen. Subjective opinions are fine but if a claim is to be made, they must be backed up with measurements. Otherwise, they are just personal opinions. Forum members should be aware of that distinction.

The attachment below is the raw frequency response of the Vifa XT25TG30-04 (black trace) and with the faceplate replaced with a 6.5"x4.5" Elliptical Waveguide by Pellegrene (red trace). The effects of the WG loading is clearly visible. This may help understand SpinMonster's preference to using a WG.
Attached Images
File Type: gif RAW_ XT25_WG.gif (9.7 KB, 182 views)
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:17 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Chua View Post
Subjective opinions are fine but if a claim is to be made, they must be backed up with measurements. Otherwise, they are just personal opinions. Forum members should be aware of that distinction.

The attachment below is the raw frequency response of the Vifa XT25TG30-04 (black trace) and with the faceplate replaced with a 6.5"x4.5" Elliptical Waveguide by Pellegrene (red trace). The effects of the WG loading is clearly visible. This may help understand SpinMonster's preference to using a WG.
Well said.

I used a 8.5x5.5 wave guide which loads the tweeter far lower in frequency and is important to note because it allows a far lower cross over than a 6.5" wave guide.

Click the image to open in full size.

I would never use a paper driver for bass or midbass because of how it distorts shape at higher SPLs.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:54 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I've been suspicious that many are mistaking resolution for metal diaphram ringing. Even when the obvious peak in the response has been attenuated by 12dB, ringing elongates the time, which affects our perception, making it more audible. ringing could make certain sounds seem more clear, and yet be less accurate technically, if that matters. I'd be concerned that metal cone midrange driver ringing could get tedious to listen to after a while. Tone bursts in gaussian or Blackman envelops might shed more light on this.

Personally, I would consider building a speaker with a 6.5 inch Peerless Nomex cone mid-woofer, a Peerless TC9 or TG9 3 inch midrange, and a Fountek 1.5 inch ribbon, with X=700 and 7kHZ. If I wanted better bass than I could get out of the 6 inch with active EQ, I'd add a woofer tower/columb for below 100HZ that would be forced to be acoustically flat down to 20HZ (closed box on all drivers and active EQ). I might even use the same Peerless Nomex cone 6.5 inch for the woofer tower; maybe 6 on each side. Or the aluminum version of the same. or the 8 inch version if I wanted higher volume low bass. If you're really picky, you could do the whole crossover 4 pole active. I would pay very close attention to cabinet shape and how the speaker is going to interact with the listening room acoustics. For what it's worth.

Last edited by Bob Richards; 3rd September 2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 3rd September 2013, 01:22 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
The upper end of those drivers have a lot of break up and ring like crazy too. All of the rest of them that I have heard also had that same character. I am not a fan of that line.

There are better choices out there. Even the little paper cone woofer PE sells with the stamped steel basket has a much cleaner and more natural sounding mid-range. I'd keep looking.

All rigid / metal cone drivers *would* have such breakup. Even ultra expensive Seas excel ! The design needs to take account of this, so that the speaker package would benefit for the low distortion and pistonic response of such metal driver.

Comparing it with paper cone is not apple to apple.
Old 3rd September 2013, 02:25 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Guys, just because a driver is made from paper does not mean it will have higher distortion or cone flexing issues.

Hide this!Advertise here!