FFT and Windowing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was hoping to open up a discussion amongst you EE types to expound upon the advantages and disadvantages in different windows in different situations. Would anyone be kind enough to explain this in light of frequency response, THD and IMD measurements, burst measurements, and CSD? John K had advised to just stick with Blackmann Harris for SE while the ARTA manual suggests different windows for different circumstances. thnx.

Very surprisingly, they also have window function and accompanied Fourier transform for Taj Mahal:

500px-Window_function_and_frequency_response_-_Planck-taper_%28epsilon_%3D_0.1%29.svg.png

640px-Taj_Mahal_2012.jpg

Thanks, SY. I had seen those links and several others. I am not able to make the leap from leakage, side lobes, etc. to which works best for what function in loudspeaker measurement. An impulse windowing in loudspeaker measurement for dummies would be great! thnx

First an impulse response is obtained. I then process it with either Soundeasy or ARTA to derive frequency response, CSD, Tone Burst, etc. IMD and THD both use their own signals to obtain their results. IMD uses two separate frequencies to measure while THD uses Stepped Sine, I believe, in SE and I believe it uses swept sine in ARTA.

For the frequency response measurements, B-H is likely your best bet.

For IMD and THD, use a flat-top, or if that's not an option, a Hanning. You'll get some side lobes which you should ignore- you're interested in the ratios of the peak values of the fundamental and the harmonics.

Thanks, SY. Any chance that you might explain the why of this? I can see the differences in side lobes and in the rate of decent from the peak of the signal under each window but I am trying to understand where there is benefit to each window and why.

I guess to be more specific, why is B-H better than Hanning or flat top, etc for FR? Why Flat top or Hanning and not Uniform for IMD or THD? What about each window profile makes it preferable to the others? Thanks in advance. Jay

The "why" is mathematical. The practicalities are that, in choosing a window or apodization, you're trading freedom from skirts or spreading in the frequency domain for accuracy of peak height. Peak height accuracy is what you want in distortion measurement since distortion percentage is defined by the ratios of the harmonics and intermod products to the fundamental(s); the spreading isn't very critical.

There's lots of different measurement situations, so there's lots of tools! For example, if I wanted to resolve sidebands from power supply intermodulation or two closely spaced tones, I'd want to choose an apodization that had the least spreading so they wouldn't get buried in the mathematical noise around the test frequency.

Thanks for your patience and for your explanation. For FR you want the most accurate frequency data; would this be reflected by the lowest side lobes, greatest side lobe roll off (I guess reflected by the -3dB bandwidth), or a combination of the two (or am I way off base here)?

. Would anyone be kind enough to explain this in light of frequency response, THD and IMD measurements, burst measurements, and CSD? John K had advised to just stick with Blackmann Harris for SE while the ARTA manual suggests different windows for different circumstances. thnx.
I don't know why you ask this because it is clear that each windowing has compromises so you will want to compromise frequency accuracy or transient accuracy depends on the information you want to seek and the nature of the input signal.

If you know too much about the subject of course it is good to use the most appropriate windowing for each cases. But let me tell you that the interpretation of measurement regardless of accuracy is still a weakest link. So you will need long time to be able to well interpret the result of any windowing. In your situation it is best to stick with one type. A type that is in the middle compromise for general purpose measurement is probably the BH4. I choose Hann because most important masurements require the frequency domain accuracy.

Windowing option is also related with FFT size and processing speed. For final measurement the accuracy should be better than trials.

No longer relevant in most cases.

I don't know what you mean with no longer relevant but I think it was me who is not clear about what I was saying. My main point was about choosing different "accuracy" for trial and final. Because the more accurate the measurement the more processing is required hence time. I'm not talking about BH7 for final and no windowing for trials, no, but in general term including choosing the sample size.

if you are using the same clock, say a soundcard or DAQ, for both source, record then you can skip windowing altogether if you make any frequency input an exact integer fit

asynchronus frequency interference like power line noise will splatter though

Last edited:
Btw, my computer was top when I bought it, now I realized that I'm way behind. Actually I work with computers but that feeling when I bought my computer blinded me that my computer is only 2GHz and 2G RAM when the last time I checked.

Indeed software development is left way behind hardware development. And I don't play games so Photoshop is the critical software for me then

I don't know what you mean with no longer relevant but I think it was me who is not clear about what I was saying. My main point was about choosing different "accuracy" for trial and final. Because the more accurate the measurement the more processing is required hence time. I'm not talking about BH7 for final and no windowing for trials, no, but in general term including choosing the sample size.

My bad, I misunderstood your comment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.