Zenith 360° Omni Speakers Remember 'Em ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do any of you remember these Zenith Omni speakers ? I haven't seen them or any technology like them anywhere since the 70's. I'm thinking of making something like them with a decent concentrically configured 3 way coaxial and up-firing it into a cone. But I suppose the curve of the cone is beyond my enthusiasm to go through the modeling to get it best. I could get it but it looks like a lot of work.

Now I am also wondering if there is a way to evenly blend separate drivers through a wave tube to a 180° cone section and make a 180° front only configuration.
Both look complicated to blend the full spectrum into a full 180° dispersion.

Attachments

• ZenithOmnis1-650x416.jpg
    ZenithOmnis1-650x416.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 395
Here comes my dislike, not to be insulting, I had been holding off to say it, and now that money is being spent, I start blowing the air instead of before.

The bass those Zenith Omni's had as I remember, has a sort of muted boomy sound I call the department store speaker sound, or otherwise, a 3 beer speaker.

Except for the dispersion right ? I have some RCA Linaeum Pro LX-550's and it's sort of like the sound comes from somewhere but is difficult to pinpoint. Still the stereo imaging is correct. And the generation of tweeters that came with them has plenty of extended highs. I can't hear much difference between them and the Nano Fine 40khz polycarb domes in Sony SS B1000's I have. The Nano's do have a slightly better ring, excellent 180° dispersion but stand anywhere with a Linaeum and you get direct highs. Both, maybe due to the recording engineer or my Zenith dvd player show some hash on a cymbal crash.

I can listen to this sort of speaker much longer than a beamer.

Last edited:
Yea Zenith had the idea but didn't go the full route of engineering.

I guess a properly configured 180° dispersion system is good enough now. Those semi-dome poly carb tweeters do an excellent job of dispersion with the lens. And that's where most of the beaming came from. I haven't been able to hear a good soft dome tweeter yet, if better than a semi-dome/lens tweet then wow.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.