Kef 105.3 / Kube 200 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2003, 12:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ANTHONY2181
Default Kef 105.3 / Kube 200

Hi,
I've recently bought a pair of Kef 105.3 reference speakers to replace my old kef 104 s the internal bass units foam was comming undone in all 4 units so i had them refoamed and one drive unit re voice coiled.They are a very impressive pair of speakers a bit power hungry being 4 ohm .Ive done some reading on the the 105.3 ive got the original hifi news artical on them which mentioned that they had a Kube equaliser called the Kube 200 which would extend the response down to 20 Hz which i can imagine would be pretty gut renching bass.

Does anyone have these speakers with the kube 200 ? Or have a circuit diagram for it because id like to either try and locate one or build one if i can. This eq went between the pre and power amps.

Cheers

Anthony Kirby
Old 13th December 2003, 01:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here you go

KEF KUBE200 on e-bay

Hope this help

Trigon
Old 13th December 2003, 02:58 PM   #3
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

You could also try the Bassis (kit or assembled) from Marchand.

If the Kube 200 is similar to the KUBE EQ on the KEF 107's, it also EQ's the midband a small amount, which the Bassis won't do.

The KUBE (and Bassis) is mostly a so-called Linkwitz Transform or Pole-shifting circuit. You can find a lot of info about these, including a circuit diagram and design spreadsheets if you do a web search. If you use a DIY device, you will need to measure the Q of the 105's.
Old 15th December 2003, 03:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Anthony, I can help you on this. I designed all of the KEF KUBEs', so can answer any of the questions you have, as long as my memory holds out (it was over 10years ago after all!!)
The KUBE200 did not equalise the midrange, only the bass, as it was intended as an aftermarket add on to the 105.3.
The KUBE107 was designed as in integral part of the 107/2, and performed midrange EQ also, so the 107/2 cannot be used without it's KUBE.
I will check out the bassist and see if it holds any promise to be modified to match the characteristics of the 105.3in order to work properly, but it is not as simple as just matching the Q. I don't know if I have any data of the original paramterers that I used to design it, but I will go hunting.
I may also have an old KUBE200 somewhere, so I will check on that too.

regards

Andrew
Old 27th April 2011, 01:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello Andrew,
I am about to buy a Kube 200 that I would like to use with my 105/3 once I have refoamed them...
The item I could buy does not come with qa power supply. I found the complete Kef Kube 200 schematic inclusive of the power supply. But i would like to avoid having to build it.
Can you recommend a standard PS able to do the job? Thanks in advance. Olivier
Old 11th February 2012, 06:43 AM   #6
ghomd is offline ghomd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default need help with Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Hi Anthony, I can help you on this. I designed all of the KEF KUBEs', so can answer any of the questions you have, as long as my memory holds out (it was over 10years ago after all!!)
The KUBE200 did not equalise the midrange, only the bass, as it was intended as an aftermarket add on to the 105.3.
The KUBE107 was designed as in integral part of the 107/2, and performed midrange EQ also, so the 107/2 cannot be used without it's KUBE.
I will check out the bassist and see if it holds any promise to be modified to match the characteristics of the 105.3in order to work properly, but it is not as simple as just matching the Q. I don't know if I have any data of the original paramterers that I used to design it, but I will go hunting.
I may also have an old KUBE200 somewhere, so I will check on that too.

regards

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
I have a KUBE for 107 but without the transformer and connector to the box, looks like a DIN type plug. I was told it take a 23 or 25 volt DC, since the DIN plug has 5 wire connector, which one should be hook up top positive and which one to be negative? Does the KUBE 200 box work on 107 and will the power supply of the 200 work on the 107 KUBE? Thank you for your help
Old 11th February 2012, 06:51 AM   #7
ghomd is offline ghomd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivierh2003 View Post
Hello Andrew,
I am about to buy a Kube 200 that I would like to use with my 105/3 once I have refoamed them...
The item I could buy does not come with qa power supply. I found the complete Kef Kube 200 schematic inclusive of the power supply. But i would like to avoid having to build it.
Can you recommend a standard PS able to do the job? Thanks in advance. Olivier
Hi Olivier,
Did you ever get the power supply for the KUBE 200 box, I need one also, what was your solution? Thank you
Old 21st January 2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Phil50 is offline Phil50  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The KUBE 200 is as rare as rocking horse poop. But the speakers soud 100% Better with one.

Building one is not really practical unless your are an engineer with experience.

It is a very complex piece of kit.

Best to keep an eye out on Ebay etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!