B&W CM6 speakers review

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• large_grille_off.jpg
    large_grille_off.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 355
My in-laws have these.. they're quite good. Very clear but I find that they emphasize the higher frequencies too much -- a little shrill sounding and irritating on the top but that's my taste.

Otherwise, they're excellent. I just can't listen to them for very long. They're great for movies though.

this seems to be the problem with all B&W of late
Have you heard the 700 series? They are stunning, at least 703 are, but they are somewhat more costly than these.

My brother has the CM4 (baby brother to CM6) and I find them lovely. In his system (MF XA-2, Arcam CD72, Chord cabling) they are bright but not overyl shrill or harsh sounding. They sound fresh, vibrant, detailed, and mostly well balanced. Do bear in mind though that Chord wires use silver-plating and teflon insulation - using better/pure copper wires might alleviate this emphasis on the top-end. Also, he has a reflective listneing room. Great for jazz and classical I'd say, less rock and dance than other B&Ws... Great looks! :)

Maybe give the 704 a listen too - which look more serious IMHO, less 'lifestyle' than these, which are often said to be style over performance.

My 2p worth for you, anyway I bet they're good...

-Simon

the audio shop i work at sells B&W, and while im not a huge fan (i like some of out other brands more (sonus fabre and meridian), they still are excellent for the price.

the CM6's are especially good. i care for them much more than i do the other speakers (considering price/value...) i like the 700 series very much, but for the price i think the CM6's are just as good if not better. its a good buy.

we use them primarily with rotel gear, and its a match made in heavan. rotel is very smooth and not too crisp on the high end. this works wonders with rotel. your aleph (from what i know about them) shold be great).

yeah im planning on using these with my aleph 2's and building a pair of subwoofer enclosures after. I thought b&W because the local guys sell them and if i buy a pair i can get a good deal on them then when i get some extra cash ill build my dream speaker and have some thing to reference the ones i build to.

: O)

Building a pair of speakers is easy, and even more easy compared to building an amp.

Go build Kuei Yang Wang's open baffle Supravox RTF 215 Bicone and have amazing sound for (less than) half the price; ..in stead of sound that will make you wanna upgrade after two months.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.