newbie trying to build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep I'm a newbie and after couple days of reading stuff I decideded to register. I don't have a comp so no test equip possible atm and on a limited budget.

So I'm gonna take a shot at getting old out of date speakers, gotta love 8 track era lol. And use the speakers from all the stuff I can find. Might take a while but gonna give it a shot. So any suggestions at this moment would be helpfull.

I do have some drivers. And after opening there is no xover or anything and a cardboard for the port tube. Which kinda made me go ummm can we say cheaply made... Sigh but I'm hoping that with a little bit of luck and some current engineering along with halfway known values for volume of speakers, insulation inside etc and crossover I might get something decent.

I read ya all hate Bose and ya they are like cheap speakers. And going to attemp to make 4 seperate speakers for each corner of the room etc.

Question can a car sub work for a home sub if I buy a plate amp. I saw some JBL 12 subs for sale , but I do have a pair of Kenwood 10 sub I could use.

The sub box would be a speaker on each side so the back reflection of sound would be against the opposite speaker with insulation between each speaker thereby reducing the amount back noise?

Any thoughts for a newbie who is gonna try something out instead of just running to a store?

Finally found my post but is it possible to built it so the outside of the midrange has a face cover so it directs the sound waves to attempt a 3d effect ? Or is it better to buy a horn in front of mid and woofer both to do the 3d effect or has anyone tryed this yet?

Ok I need some info on Taiwan made speakers. All I can see on many is it says Taiwan and sometimes a number. But with a link for relativitly idea of stats I can then imagine an idea forit. Did I repeat myself? Sigh .. but I'm thinking of going with going shesh and buying the speakers new cause the actual price difference is null. Lol.

So I'm thinking of dual 8, dual mids , and tweeters. And the horn idea sounds awesome. I'll do it

Question. If I do dual 8 woofers, will I need to get 4 ohm speakers so the woods can be ran together and become a 8 ohm speaker?

Ok I've decided on the Dayton audio ds215-8 8 inch woofer. So what's a good midrange and horn tweeter or best suggestions? Most of the cheaper speakers have less sensitivity but the Dayton was 90.1

And if the Dayton is 80 watts RMS and x speaker has 40 watts EMS then does the watts goto 120 watts RMS

J, I'll second Odougbo sentiments on this. Without the requisite knowledge / skills / test equipment, dissatisfaction would most likely result. There are a lot of DIY designs to choose from, even Doug's MTM/MTMMM's are nicely done.

Going this route will help you to understand why everything is what it is. Then after you've enjoyed what you built and digested a bit more could move on to doing your own thing. :)

Attachments

• 57.JPG
    57.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 36
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.