Need Impedance Meter suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, folks
I've just been building my first set of speaker enclosures according to a friend's recommendations, and I need to get a decent impedance meter that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Does anyone have any suggestions for which models to watch for?

Also, are there any alternatives to purchasing a meter? Can I rig up/use my Digital Multimeteror or Oscilloscope to test impedance?
-Thanks for any suggestions.
-Erik.:smash:

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Centauri,

You mentioned in another SW thread I started, about a mic preamp linked to from the speaker workshop site, but I can't find the link :( Do you have it?

I've ordered some WM-60AY mics from digikey, so I'll hopefully be getting some proper testing done after Christmas.

Regards,

Tony.

edit: Erik, there are two versions of the walin jig here is a link to the newer one http://www.gti.net/wallin/audio/jig2/jig2.html I bult the first one but I'm going to redo it I think.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks Centauri,

I found those yesterday but wasn't sure if they were the ones. I'm kicking myself I didn't ask about this before I ordered my mics, as the opamp in the second preamp I can only find at farnell, and it's about $6 more than if I had have included it in my digikey order, would have made the $17US postage that bit more worth while :) ... Oh well.

Did you use veroboard/matrix board, or did you make a pcb? I've never made my own pcb's maybe time to give it a try.

Oh and that link I put in for Claudio's web site is broken (cut and paste didn't work......

It should be: http://planeta.terra.com.br/educacao/claudionegro/english/

Regards,

Tony.

I used veroboard, and built the thing into an unused pro dynamic microphone housing - a battery compartment and jack socket (with battery switching) where the grille used to be, and a RCA socket at the normal connector end that my mic and long brass tube plugs into. This allows me to use the setup in a normal mic stand (although backwards), and keeps low level signals short. I used the original mic's on/off switch as the gain switch, however due to this being large and right in the middle of the area involved, I used 2 dual opamps instead of the single quad opamp - just made it that much easier to jam it all in...

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.