JBL D2 dual concentric compression driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How low in frequency should a horn directivity pattern go for home audio?

The latest home audio high efficiency options:
coaxial ring radiator compression driver vs.
single Beryllium diaphragm compression driver vs.
Synergy Horn

JBL: two identical annular diaphragms combining in one common exit chamber.

BMS: one large annular midrange diaphragm combining with one ultra light high frequency diaphragm into a common exit chamber

Attachments

• Coaxial.jpg
    Coaxial.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,109
You've been able to buy good medium format stuff for quite some time now... For less...

3722/4722 PTWG
fc80f78c.jpg~original

I think there should be some distinction between what the M2 is as a system and what a DIY'r can do with the waveguide and compression driver. There is a gap there, and that gap is filled with $$$$ IMO.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I really would like to see the raw measurements of this driver, both diaphragms, to see how easy/hard this driver is to work with.

BTW, this will be for home use and I would try it on a few different horns as well.
My motivation is that I would very much like to see a driver that combines a large format diaphragm with a tweeter AND sound great at the same time. If we could knock path differences and lobing issues in the head, wouldn't that be fabulous!

PS. Who is selling these? (please provide a link)

Best
Kris

Do you know

Hi,

Has anyone tried this driver or listened to it?
JBL-D2

There is a lengthy discussion on the Lansing Heritage forum about the M2 monitor that uses the D2: JBL Master Reference Monitor

I would sure like to know if it is available for purchase.

Best
Kris

the combined diaphragm radiating area of the D2? in other words if this were a regular compression driver what size diaphragm would it be? three or four inch? Just curious. Thanks Best regards Moray James.

Instead of the large and heavy metal dome diaphragm of
a conventional compression driver, the D2430K uses two annular low-mass polymer diaphragms offering the
same radiating area as a conventional 3-inch dome. Two separate 3-inch voice coils driven by their own magnet
structures share the burden of heat transfer, resulting in a dramatic increase of output and power handling.

http://www.jblpro.com/BackOffice/ProductAttachments/M2_Brochure_Jan2013.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.