Call me stupid, but... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2013, 06:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Call me stupid, but...

So here's the deal, I have a bunch of garage-sale level equipment. I'm currently rocking an
RCA STAV 3990 receiver powering a pair of CV VS-120 as my 2 channels

Directly below my living room, in the basement:
from the sub pre-out (crossed at 150, because that's as low as the RCA will go):

it feeds a Kenwood XR A5050 that puts whatever it can into a 4 ohm JL 15 w1 (or W0 depending on the vintage) sealed box
And a Yamaha RX V640 that powers 2 crappy 12"bazooka subs in sealed boxes

I find the bass to be sufficient :-) it is very good at making things/people vibrate at low fq depending on how I crank the knobs on the receivers (garage-sale amps).

I am looking to put some noise into my workshop/garage and my question is: should I pick up another set of CV VS-120s for $150 on craigslist, or should I build something like the TriTrix TL MTM for my mains, and put the CVs in the garage.

I don't really want to have to run a separate sub in the garage, the CVs should be good enough.

I guess what I am really asking is will the TriTrix keep up with most of the bass I have on tap in the living room? Will the TriTrix sound significantly better in SQ (I'm guessing yes) than the old CVs?
Old 14th August 2013, 07:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

CV's in the garage, Tritrix MLTL for prime listening with the sub to help with movies if used for HT also.

Get a MiniDSP to control the TriTrix/ Sub integration between amps. They're $80 + $10 plugin

Hide this!Advertise here!