Dahlquist replacements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to replace my Dahlquist DQ-12's with something new but I can't quite afford the new Acarian Systems Lotus Alon Signature so... its time to build. I have been very pleased with the exceptionally smooth response and imaging capabilities of my old DQ-12's but they lack the detail of some of the newer speakers I have heard. I have just completed a new family room that will be the new home of whatever I create, the room is 20ft x 22ft with a vaulted ceiling center hight of about 11ft. The rear wall and rear surround channels (3) for home theater will be handled by inwalls that I have already installed but the front mains and center is still a mystery. I have not locked down any particular configuration but my ear seems to be partial to three way designs.
I am curious to hear any suggestions that remain in a budget of $1500.00-2500.00 to build a left, right, and center driver. I am particularly interested in recreating and improving some of the "majic" of the Dahlquist.
And whats the story with the SEAS Excel drivers, that sooooo many manufacturers and diy'ers are using are they really that great, better than the scanspeak? the focal polykevlar?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.