Help with first PA system build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where could I find plans for a cab like this?
Thanks
I never formally made up plans, the exterior dimensions and view of the porting are given in post #14 (exterior is 3/4", horn walls are 1/2") and the pictures below show construction details.
The 3/4" x 3/4" grill frame sides are angled at 45 degree to continue the horn angle. Cabinet is 3/4 rounded to reduce diffraction and road rash.
Duratex paint rolled over a latex primer.
Felt lining is used behind the drivers on the back panel.
Finished weight is 40 pounds using Aruco plywood.
The raw cabinet response is not flat, but the midrange efficiency the small conical horn provides makes it a seriously good sounding little cabinet once compensating EQ is applied.

Art

Attachments

• 2x6T drivers.png
    2x6T drivers.png
    804.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 2x6T Horn.jpg
    2x6T Horn.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 243
  • 2x6T Xover.jpg
    2x6T Xover.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 236
You could do that, or scale it up using 2x8", or 2x10".
At 1200 Hz, you would need around 4 of the 6" to keep up with the 2446, though 2x 10" would match up.
The nice thing about the 6" is the HF can be handled by a small, inexpensive, light driver crossed as high as 3500 Hz.
It also allows you to build four cabinets, and split your system to cover two events, or really wide coverage, or vertically stack for "long throw".

That said, the 2385 is 60 degrees, no reason to have the mid wider coverage than the HF.
And 60 degree is not wide enough for even HF coverage of most venues.
I'd sell the 2385s and build the conical 90 HF horn in to a scaled up version.
Of course, the 2446 are stupid heavy, and the 4" diaphragm is not very clean for VHF, I'd go with a 3" diaphragm unit like the B&C DE82TN if "scaling up" for reduced weight and cleaner sound.

Art

Last edited:
You could do that, or scale it up using 2x8", or 2x10".
At 1200 Hz, you would need around 4 of the 6" to keep up with the 2446, though 2x 10" would match up.
The nice thing about the 6" is the HF can be handled by a small, inexpensive, light driver crossed as high as 3500 Hz.
It also allows you to build four cabinets, and split your system to cover two events, or really wide coverage, or vertically stack for "long throw".

That said, the 2385 is 60 degrees, no reason to have the mid wider coverage than the HF.
And 60 degree is not wide enough for even HF coverage of most venues.
I'd sell the 2385s and build the conical 90 HF horn in to a scaled up version.
Of course, the 2446 are stupid heavy, and the 4" diaphragm is not very clean for VHF, I'd go with a 3" diaphragm unit like the B&C DE82TN if "scaling up" for reduced weight and cleaner sound.

Art

Right now I'm trying to piece together a kit with some components I already have. I'm not worried about multiple setups because this will only be used for my own gigs. in terms of the dispersion with the 2385 if I traded them for some 2380A's that would help. And as far as the upper end on the 2446s are there some cheaper smaller drivers I could use above 10k that sound good?

And as far as the upper end on the 2446s are there some cheaper smaller drivers I could use above 10k that sound good?
When using 6" to 10" mid drivers the crossover point can be high enough that there is a huge range of choices of inexpensive good sounding drivers available from a variety of companies.

You can listen to a variety of drivers recorded at various levels here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/212240-high-frequency-compression-driver-evaluation.html

The files are in mp3 format, to open them change the suffix < .pdf > to <.mp3 > they will open with your mp3 app.

Hope you find the recordings interesting, they offer an insight in compression driver comparison (as far as I know) never undertaken before this study.

Art

Art
How does jbell top compares to your top.
I don't know which "jbell top" you would like to compare, I don't recall seeing measurements for his top cabinets.

The frequency and phase response of my 2x6T measured in free space are pictured below.
At 160 Hz, sensitivity is around 95 dB one watt one meter, upper response is around 104 dB.

Attachments

• 2x6T on axis.png
    2x6T on axis.png
    169.9 KB · Views: 101
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.