Need the gurus advice on sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
And since the Australian Dollar is 74 cents US-just a year or so ago it was 55 cents-that Tempest is $296 and the DT 300 amp is $366.

Which is still kind of expensive.

If you don't mind downgrading to a 12", Eminence sells the LaB 12 subwoofer which is very similar to the Shiva, except it has one 6 ohm voice coil. 12 mm excursion, and specs very similar to the Shiva. Bigger magnet, cast frame, sturdier built than the Shiva. Costs $175 US, but foreign distributors seem to sell Eminence products very very close to US prices.

Here is the Eminence Australia distributor:
http://www.eminence.com/eminence/pages/support/inquiry/aus.htm

Undertoe,
As you've just discovered, living anywhere other than the USA can make this a really expensive hobby!

The shipping rates from Madisound are quite reasonable though. I imported two Peerless 8" woofers from Madisound last year and here's how the costs break down....

Cost of goods: $55
Shipping: $42.24
Duty: £1.39 (approx $2.50)
VAT: £13.39 (approx $20)
Admin fee: £4.50 (approx $7)

Shipping was by air - I ordered on Tuesday lunchtime and the goods arrived Friday afternoon - now that's service! The price for 4-6 week overland wasn't much cheaper, maybe $30 instead of $42.

Although these are only 8" units, the weight was still significant so ordering a sub amp from Madisound might still be possible.

Nice one,
David.

accoustic concepts sell both the shiva and tempest in australia and dont charge the earth for delivery, here is the prices they gave me when i emailed them

>Shiva $272.50 plus GST
> Tempest $385.00 Plust GST
> Maelstrom $765.00 plus GST
> Brahma 10" $780.00 plus GST
> Brahma 12" $850.00 Plus GST
> Brahma 15" $995.00 plus GST
> PR-15 $235.oo plus GST
> AV-8 $186.00 plus GST
> Freight costs Eastern States $17.00 per speaker/Redgum amp, WA and NT $24.00 per speaker/redgum amp.

if you modell the sealed tempest up against the vented shiva the shiva comes out on top with alot more SPL below 35Hz and it is the same size box, even above 3Hz te tempest doesnt produce SPL thatismuch greater 2.5dbbbbat most and that is at 80Hz

my suggestion go te shiva ebs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.