What's the best pair of bookshelf speakers for under $1000?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all, my apologies but there does not seem to be a topic like this discussed in recent history.

What I'm looking for is the most perfectly neutral bookshelf speaker pair (kit, assembled or plans) for under $1000. Flat frequency response and able to take 100W or so. I am trying for a sound at least as good as my BGcorp RD50 ribbons.

I have tried the Proac 1SC clone, Ascend Acoustics CBM-170, KEF C20 and Klipsch RB-81. The Proac clone sounded best to me but rather than audition every bookshelf speaker available, I thought I'd ask...

"What's the best pair of bookshelf speakers for under $1000?"

It would be helpful if you said a bit more about how you plan on using the speakers. "Able to take 100w" sounds to me like you like to crank it up at times. What kind of space will the speakers be in? What kind of amp? I've no doubt that everything mentioned so far are great speakers, so it's really going to come down to your specific application. Having said that I'd add this one to your short list, Alpha-8 Minion - Alpha Series - Waveguide Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

It would be helpful if you said a bit more about how you plan on using the speakers. "Able to take 100w" sounds to me like you like to crank it up at times. What kind of space will the speakers be in? What kind of amp? I've no doubt that everything mentioned so far are great speakers, so it's really going to come down to your specific application. Having said that I'd add this one to your short list, Alpha-8 Minion - Alpha Series - Waveguide Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

The speakers will be used for quiet instrumentals, easy listening and female voices. I mentioned 100W just for somewhere to start. My amp is a custom made KT88 tube unit with about 65W RMS. My preamp is also a tube unit as is my CD player.

If I go the Kairos route, is there anywhere I can buy the completed speaker enclosures or is that going to be truly DIY?

I think I remember Jeff saying that Meniscus also does cabinets. Who knows what the price is though.. :eek:

BTW, here you can find measurements of the Satori woofer along with Zaph's comments:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/blog.html

"The 7" Satori probably has the best performing motor in the business, as shown by the class leading harmonic distortion plots. Response curve is pretty good too, only a minor breakup dip of such narrow bandwidth that it is likely inaudible.."

Last edited:
The speakers will be used for quiet instrumentals, easy listening and female voices. I mentioned 100W just for somewhere to start. My amp is a custom made KT88 tube unit with about 65W RMS. My preamp is also a tube unit as is my CD player.

People shouldn't talk watts when they get to high-end; maybe only as an approximation to separate 5-watt people from 100-watt people.

It's a necessary point as it relates to efficiency, but usually it's more of a red herring.

People shouldn't talk watts when they get to high-end; maybe only as an approximation to separate 5-watt people from 100-watt people.

It's a necessary point as it relates to efficiency, but usually it's more of a red herring.

How true... I used to listen to my RD50s powered by an 8W 300B amp and plenty of music was to be had. And BTW, through the process I only found two recording artists whose recording quality I'd term as "epic".

Would love to know what the "epic" recordings are. :) I think along with the other considerations you are looking at for your book shelf speakers would be to consider how you will place them in the room. So designs flourish close to a back wall, while some get muddled. Others need to set well out into the room. And of course room treatments to avoid early reflection nasties will be important too.

Would love to know what the "epic" recordings are. :)

In my opinion, and that's what this is all about, opinion - I have yet to find higher quality recordings than the following two artists release. One may not care for the content but most still have to give a nod toward recording quality.

Chris Spheeris

I'd be very interested in knowing about more such artists.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.