Radian/Jbl from 300hz and up or Lowthers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yes, I thought about it too
but looks to me it would need the full 3way Unity and subs :eek:

and if we are honest about it, is it really hifi ?
high fi·del·i·ty

The reproduction of sound with little distortion, giving a result very similar to the original.

Or:

The reproduction of an effect (as sound or an image) that is very faithful to the original.

Done right, it sure is.

yes, I thought about it too
but looks to me it would need the full 3way Unity and subs :eek:

and if we are honest about it, is it really hifi ?

I don't think it is, not because it's a 3-way or because it would use sub.s, but rather the horizontal dispersion is much to limited (..and frankly the verticals could do with decreased dispersion). The limited horizontal dispersion tends to reduce the soundstage as a result.

Now if it were something more like this:

Red Spade Audio: Something very cool is coming ...

Here's what I find, been doing this for a few decades now. If you use a direct radiator bass driver the lowther in the horn may be the way to go but will be compromised in many ways mainly micro and macro dynamics. This can sound good ut not as realistic as a big horn compression driver mid system:

If you use a good bass horn system (normally this should e split into two different horns, one for low bass and one for bass, midbass and lower midrange, then use a BIG mid horn (30" or more exit) and an appropriate compression driver and cross over where the blend between the midbass horn and midrange horns is inaudible.

Of course with either method you should use a dedicated treble driver and horn crossing at 3K or higher.

If you use a good bass horn system (normally this should e split into two different horns, one for low bass and one for bass, midbass and lower midrange, then use a BIG mid horn (30" or more exit) and an appropriate compression driver and cross over where the blend between the midbass horn and midrange horns is inaudible.

I agree with this - its what I have have done on two systems and it works / amazes hifi people I demo it to as to how dynamic, natural and compelling it sounds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.