Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Bowers is offline Bowers  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default 3 way crossover design

Firstly hi all!
I'm trying to build a pair of speakers as a base for my living room audio system, the components I have been collecting. I have 2x Bowers and Wilkins signature 800 bass drivers, 2x b&w 8nt bass drivers 4x b&w Kevlar signature 800 series midrange drivers,

My plan is to buy 4 decent tweeters to go with these and build 2 speakers using the sig 800 bass drivers and another 2 using the 8 nt bass drivers,

I'm struggling with what tweeters to go for.... I guess the obvious choice would be b&w ones... But I'd welcome any suggestions.

Enclosure dimensions and bracing design I am going to copy/scale down from the original sig 800 series measurements...

The issue I have is the crossovers for the sig 800 drivers, the spec sheet for 800s says they use a 350hz 4khz crossover, I have been looking on ebay etc to see if I can find any aftermarket or similar crossovers within this range... But I'm struggling

I can solder so could make some, but I just don't know where to start with designing a circuit or what components to use I see the original 800's use mcap capacitors... Are there any decent similar makes I could use?

I'm really new to all this, so any guidance or recommendations on design or tweeter choice really would be appreciated
Old 28th July 2013, 08:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have been reading the 'sticky' on crossover design but its still too technical for me, are there any 'generic' crossovers available that would sound ok that are recommended? I know that it's probably not the best solution to get the best out of these components but its probably my best option du to my limited technical knowledge? Are there any Adjustable 3 way crossovers out there?? That you can 'tune' once installed?
Old 28th July 2013, 08:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
"The issue I have is the crossovers for the sig 800 drivers, the spec sheet for 800s says they use a 350hz 4khz crossover, I have been looking on ebay etc to see if I can find any aftermarket or similar crossovers within this range... But I'm struggling"
Eminence make a very nice 3way xover.
eminence crossover | eBay
Or take a look at CPC - Over 100, 000 products from one of the worlds leading distributors of electronic and related products. | CPC
Check to see which has the best price, ebay is retail!
Old 28th July 2013, 09:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks loads for your reply Jon! I had a look at some eminence ones on ebay, and also these
Pro Audio Crossover 3 Way 400hz/3.5khz - British Built - Highest Quality! (Pair) | eBay

would you have any recommendations on a good pair of tweeters?
Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 01:39 AM   #5
system7 is online now system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Bowers, you ought to be aware that B&W generously supply crossover schematics on their website:
B&W Group North America Service & Support - Service Manuals

You should find the speakers that use your bass and mid drivers, and hopefully a lot of the work is done for you. Using Windows snipping tool to get the schematics in a compact form and post them here.

It's not hard to then work out a suitable standard tweeter and filter and alignment to match. Well, I don't find it hard!

http://www.visaton.com/en/chassis_zu...ten/index.html
http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...d=43&Itemid=48

A good filter is easily tweaked for level.

Last edited by system7; 29th July 2013 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Added some decent easily available tweeters.
Old 29th July 2013, 04:00 AM   #6
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

At 4kHz crossover you could look at using a ribbon tweeter like Fountek Neo1CD Fountek NeoCD1.0 Ribbon Tweeter 296-701.
Old 29th July 2013, 06:04 AM   #7
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

hi bowers,

have a look at this simulation and modelling (crossover and box modelling)

jbagby

cheers
henry
Old 29th July 2013, 10:22 AM   #8
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

My two cents....if you can get the xo design and corresponding drivers, I'd piece together a B&W.

Three-ways are tough to get right.
Old 29th July 2013, 08:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

right!.... thanks all for the advice..I think im going to go for it System7 and build some B&W "Copy" Crossovers using the specs for the d800's on the link you provided!... my shopping list consists of the following

Sub LF Crossover:
2 x 100uf 400vdc polypropylene Capacitor
1 x 2.5mH 1.8mm wire air core Inductor
1 x 2.5mH 1.0mm wire air core Inductor
2 x OR5 or 1R or 1R5 100W RNP50S

MID MF Crossover:
2 x 22uf 800vdc polypropylene Capacitor
1 x 10uf 1200vdc polypropylene Capacitor
1 x 1.15mH 1.2mm wire air core Inductor
1 x 0.7mH 1.2mm wire air core Inductor
1 x 2R or 2R5 or 3R 100W RNP50S

HIGH HF Crossover:
1 x 4uf 1200vdc polypropylene Capacitor
1 x OR5 or 1R or 1R5 100W RNP50S

im going to try and source the correct B&W tweeters for this model but if I went for a reed type could I use the same crossover on it??...

also any things to bare in mind when buying the above components?? are there any recommended makes?.. or any recommended uk supplyers?

thanks again everyone!!!!! you have been more than helpful!
Old 30th July 2013, 08:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Keep in mind that the crossover components are dictated by drivers, acoustic target slopes, baffle/box geometry and crossover frequency.
So if you use bass and mid drivers of the 800D AND use the same box (at least the same baffle) you can use the same 800D crossover but only for the bass-mid integration i.e. low pass for the bass and high pass for the mid. Not the low pass for the mid unless you'll use the same tweeter. If you change the tweeter you'll have to redesign the low pass for the mid and high pass for the tweeter. Also notice that the tweeter part consist of only one cap, few tweeter can tolerate a 1st order electrical crossover at mid to high SPL.
So in the end don't buy the exact 800D components for the mid and tweeter integration if you're not planning to use the 800D tweeter.
Ralf

Hide this!Advertise here!