3.5 Way Tower speaker design on 250 budget - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2013, 08:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 3.5 Way Tower speaker design on 250 budget

Some of you may have seen my other thread about building a true 4.5 way active speaker with cost virtually no object.

Before I get back to that I want to test the water and build a competent speaker to check my build skills are good enough,

Basic plan is dual 8 inch woofers (up to 1khz?), mid (4/5 inches) then cheap ribbon/normal dome tweeter.

Driver suggestions are very welcomed.

Will be built out of 18mm mdf, unless better suggestions are offered.

crossover I have no idea how to build...but I'm excited to try!! Think it makes more sense to do this after drivers are finalised.

Thanks for reading.
Old 28th July 2013, 08:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm from the UK if that affects driver choices...
Old 28th July 2013, 10:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
3.5 Way Tower speaker design on 250 budget
Is that for what... a half of a crossover?!
B741 Scan-Speak Kit by Peter Noerbaek - Pair
Old 28th July 2013, 10:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Your budget is for what? Drivers only? Drivers + crossover components? All material including wood, screws, paint, insulation and so on?
IMHO you'd have a hard time fitting drivers only in your budget: see Zaph|Audio - ZDT3.5 for a fully documented 3.5 way design by a reputable designer, using good value drivers (not cheap but not expensive either). And that is using 7" drivers and not 8".

If you only want to try your woodworking (and soldering) skills build a simple 2 way speaker, maybe the Amiga suggested here frequently or some other Paul Carmody's creations: https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy. Even on simple projects I can tell you that a lot of things can go wrong if not planned and executed well.

If you want to design your own your first budget should be for a measurement device (calibrated mic + preamp).

Ralf
Old 28th July 2013, 10:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

You may find that re-thinking your design to have a single Bass driver, Xover at around 200Hz onto your Mid and then look for a suitable Treble Drivers.

Many variables, but it is wise to try to keep your vocal range within one Driver.

Again your cost allocations are very important before thinking about what Drivers might be suitable...
18mm MDF is OK for this type of build

Mik
Old 28th July 2013, 11:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok let me refine the goal slightly:

I want to build something that equals or exceeds the quality from a b and w 683.

Budget is for drivers+crossover. Can be increased, but want to do it as cheaply as possible to meet the above goals.

So requirements:

3.5 way with dual 8 inch woofers.
floorstanding around 10 inches wide ish
sounds better than b and w 683
target price 250 for drivers+crossover, can be increased up to 500.

cabinet - 18mm mdf? should I go 22/25? Will brace heavily either way. Will be a separate budget

bass requirements, want them to play to roughly 50 hz well. don't want a 100hz bass peak.

haha the scan speak kit looks decent.
Old 28th July 2013, 12:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

why 3.5way?
for that price you would probably have to go 2-way for something decent. something like this:
Waveguide Speaker kits DIY Sound Group
atleast the tweeter and dispertion is better than b&w budget lines. possibly frequency response also. not to mention effeciency.
Old 28th July 2013, 01:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

It seems you didn't understand. So let me put this in another way.

In the low end the diyer is not able to build a speaker that outperforms a comparable price-wise industrial product. The reason is simply that big companies will buy components at half and even less the price we mere mortals usually pay. The gap will shorten or close with marketing and distribution cost thou. But you have to factor also some money for trials if you don't build an already designed speaker.

So your idea to have a budget of 250 for driver and crossover only for a 3.5 way speaker that should compete with a B&W 683 that costs new much more is foolish. Changing the budget to 500 helps (but it is the double, not 10-20% more!), but again if you don't build a reputable design you won't succeed: or your speaker will be less that the reference or you will pay more. If you don't mind spending money but learning something in the process go for a your design but invest in advance in measurement equipment.

You can have a look at some Visaton kits here: 3-Way Speakers. The Experience V20 should come close to your requirements (twin 8" drivers but 3 way and not 3.5), also for price. If that outperforms the B&W I don't know.

Ralf

PS. x.5 way designs are not for everyone, since they are full baffle step compensation by design. Having a twin bass driver design doesn't mean it is automatically a x.5 design design. So do you want a 3.5 way design or a 3 way with twin bass drivers?
Old 28th July 2013, 10:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

.....then would probably be looking at the BMS 5S117 Midrange, Visaton Ribbon HF, and a suitable LF Driver for each Box.
B and C products are also well worth looking at as well.
Bass response down to 40Hz will provide for the full frequency range of a Bass Guitar!
Box design using WinISD for the LF section.

Drive 3 way Active to avoid having to do any Passive Xover design, especially if you intend to use multiple Bass Drivers with an impedance difference between frequency bands.

Mik
Old 29th July 2013, 08:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running123 View Post
Ok let me refine the goal slightly:

I want to build something that equals or exceeds the quality from a b and w 683.
sounds better than b and w 683
target price 250 for drivers+crossover, can be increased up to 500.
You must be a business man...

that does not understand about what he is selling.

You have a lot to run, running123.

Hide this!Advertise here!