Heresy conversion to transmission Line? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2013, 07:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Heresy conversion to transmission Line?

Hi guys.
Will this work using stock components? Will I lose effiency?
Is the limitation merely putting up with whatever volume is required, which is ok. Suppose I wanted to do a 14" or larger Sonotube vertically with the top of it crossectioned to put a motorboard? How can I model this or take a guess? I'm thinking 5.5 to 6 feet high with stuffing?
Old 28th July 2013, 06:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Really? This not worth a little discussion?
Old 28th July 2013, 07:04 PM   #3
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteleoni View Post
Really? This not worth a little discussion?
Hi Pete. Might be if anyone had a clue what you are talking about here!

Are you building a boat or a giant stuffed rabbit, or discussing the Spanish Inquisition. I haven't a clue...
Old 29th July 2013, 12:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Heresy

As in Klipsch?
Old 29th July 2013, 12:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Klipsch Heresy conversion to TL perhaps?
Old 29th July 2013, 03:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Of course I meant the Klipsch Heresy. Sorry

It, like all of the Klipsch legacy speakers, has a woofer that will damn near work in with any kind of loading, For example the K-33 15" woofer as used in the K-horn is a compression driver( K-Horn and LaScala) but works equally well in the ported Cornwall.. I even plugged it as a model into my Sentry III a with order box and guess what? The damn thing was nearly a perfect replace ment for the rare EV B15 except for being 4 ohm instead of 8, I would have bought 2 of them from Crites otherwise.. The 12" K-22, K-24 used in the Heresy is very similar and has been used by Klipsch in many different cab volumes as well, with many folks making larger ported and lower tuned Heresies instead of the sealed standard box. I was wondering if the Heresy could be converted to a transmission line speaker via 14" Sonotube, or even made a telescoping and self standing speaker, transportable, via 16" and 14" sonotubes, sealed at sliding point with closed cell pipe insulation perhaps?.I realise there would be 2 expansions of the chamber, one from shrinking of the pipie due to the cutout for the motor board opening to 14" pipe, then to the telecoped 16" pipe when extended. I have seen transmission line speakers and obviously rear loaded horns with (duh) with expanding chambers, I am also guessing that these is middle ground between transmission lines and rear horn loads. I have also seen 6 foot 12" pipes tuned from 45-55 hz, which would be ideal for small clubs.
Old 29th July 2013, 03:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Next stop is the Stadium
Old 29th July 2013, 03:55 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

1st thing you need to see how a TL would work is to gather up the drivers T/S data

dave
Old 29th July 2013, 03:56 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hmmm .... can't put lipstick on a pig
Old 29th July 2013, 04:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The Heresy is no pig. There are a zillion reasons for loving that mid range horn. There is a reason that these speakers have been around for so long. Midrange clarity is an area that is often overlooked in small pa speakers, it seems always trying to extend the woofers top range beyond what it should be and crossing over WAAAAAY to high. Damn near every PA speaker is a two way and has no horn loaded mid. The heresy is already proven as a PA speaker and has been used and manufactured as such. What I am attempting to deduce here is: Will this woofer lend itself to a very large enclosure made to self stand. Obviously, the tiny cab of the Heresy is not optimal for extended bass, and the driver has a bit more to offer in a larger cab, that much is already known. The modeling of transmission lines, along with amount of damping appears to be somewhat of a gray area with many designs saying something like "stuff to taste" including that of Mr. Pass. I am trying to find the corners of the envelope. I do not know how to model a transmission line with the TS parameters of this driver, which I can however, find. I also do not know where the line is crossed between a transmission line and a large rear loaded horn. I assume that such questions are the raison 'de entre for groups such as this one, so no sometimes I do not feel as stupid as I am required to here. I'll bet I can answer any question ANYONE has about DAWs and audio though (-:

Hide this!Advertise here!