Heresy conversion to transmission Line? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2013, 04:46 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

To build such a thing, you need to use the same materials or sacrifice
an original one and use it as first part of the line
Just building the same box without the baffle recession for grill mounting
( modern way of doin' it ) brings change .
Old 29th July 2013, 05:58 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Pico, there's change and then there is change. Klipch at one time offered the Cornwall cabinet with this same 12" driver for a "starter" that could eventually be upgraded to the 15" in the same cab. Actually I am going to take the drivers out of a '78 set to test this. There is now a $30 phenolic mid range horn available which is a near drop in replacement and has much higher power handling. Plus, I plan on changing the tweeter to the same one that they used in the giant Klipsch theater wedge, which is a (no I'm not going to say the word here, but as a supertweeter in this application, works great.) (-: Also be aware that the the autoformer drops by 3 db increments and on the Heresy they are using the -9 point. Plenty of headroom left here.Same mid used in every legacy Klipsch.
Old 29th July 2013, 06:37 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Best way to model a TL is with Martin King's MathCad sheets.

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

dave
Old 29th July 2013, 07:22 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Best way to model a TL is with Martin King's MathCad sheets.

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

dave
Old 29th July 2013, 07:30 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Maybe I should have titled this "efficiency of transmission line or horn-
transmission-line morph speakers vs. sealed with same driver (-:
Old 29th July 2013, 07:54 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A TL or (BLH) horn can provide gain in the LF, but do not increase midband frequency

dave
Old 29th July 2013, 08:11 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
A TL or (BLH) horn can provide gain in the LF, but do not increase midband frequency

dave
This was exactly my hope. I would also like to include a high pass in passive crossover at around 42 hz. My plan is to protect the woofer in this manner protect the mid if possible via the simple lightbulb method, should work especially well with this mid and put in the new high efficiency Motorola dual piezo horn in place of the k-77, which I have already tested . Xover will remain the same for mid to hf but change obviously for tweeter. y experience is a supertweeter crossover is not especially precision for PA, though the rest certainly is. I will need to source an autoformer if I need too many of these )-: The magic in 3 ways with horns is the midrange truly and ultimate fidelity other wise will not be an issue. What will be is vocal clarity, not too many small PAs have this at all! and bullet-proof-ness.
Old 30th July 2013, 01:17 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

If you don't have Mathcad, and want a more simple analysis, check Martin King's "Classic Alignment Tables" document. It would give you a running start.
That said, while I know the Heresy is much regarded (but then, so are Bose) I still think it's putting lipstick on a pig. Sorry, just my opinion.
Old 30th July 2013, 02:25 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Prairy, understanding the beauty of those legacy Klipschorn LaScala Cornwall Heresys like buying a Rolls, if you have to ask........
Old 30th July 2013, 06:55 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Will this work using stock components? Will I lose effiency?
Is the limitation merely putting up with whatever volume is required, which is ok. Suppose I wanted to do a 14" or larger Sonotube vertically with the top of it crossectioned to put a motorboard? How can I model this or take a guess? I'm thinking 5.5 to 6 feet high with stuffing?
The lower you make your speaker play yes the lower your efficiency so you will also need to drop the level of the mid to adjust to the new level of the woofer. You are talking a large box and a driver that does not have a lot of xmax. You can't just drop the woofer into the end of the line as you will have to large of a distance between it and the mid horn so folding will be necessary. I did an extensive retro brace job to my H3 and I stuffed the cabinets about 85 -90% solid with high density fiberglass the fiberglass must be oriented so the back wave enters the edge of the material not fire across it, cabinets must be air tight. The result is very good bass which with a good amp does not need any help from a sub. You can also look to a reflex cabinet as used in the Tangent line which will use the same driver and give you mid 30 Hz. bass. TL loading would not be my first choice.
Please not that with my braced and damped sealed H3 I also did a lot of driver modifications as well but the results are well worth it. You can see pictures of the brace work in the attached link. Feel free to m me if you would like to discuss further. Best regards Moray James.

Heresy 3 Brace work... - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Hide this!Advertise here!