Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2013, 08:54 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaakso View Post
You could mount the Peerless sideways so that the truncated frame would face the tweeter.
I know that would be the more appropriate thing to do from an engineering standpoint, but I just don't like the look of the woofer mounted that way.
Old 26th July 2013, 09:45 PM   #12
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdrumzalot View Post
I know that would be the more appropriate thing to do from an engineering standpoint, but I just don't like the look of the woofer mounted that way.
I mounted the truncated sides up and down on mine, but it worked well with my square waveguide. Might indeed look better the other way with your round waveguide and the CTC spacing gain is very minimal anyway.

Good luck with the build, looking forward to see what comes out of it.

IG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peerless.jpg (61.2 KB, 247 views)
Old 27th July 2013, 09:46 AM   #13
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just to get you heading in the right direction, chazdrumzalot...

You'll never get anything good with a 1.8mH coil and a 10uF capacitor on the 8" bass. 8" bass peaks badly in the midrange if you overdo the shunt capacitor, it's just how they are.

These drivers need a Zobel type capacitor shunt to get some serious rolloff. Say 7.5R and 6uF along with a suitable bafflestep coil around 2mH. I'd add a tank around 6-7kHz across the coil to dip the breakup too. In fact Troels does exactly that here:

TQWT-

Hope it helps.
Old 27th July 2013, 10:10 AM   #14
jlaakso is offline jlaakso  Finland
diyAudio Member

^is it due to above average voice coil inductance?
Old 27th July 2013, 11:22 AM   #15
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

^^ that fellow build that with a skill saw? Good post.
Old 27th July 2013, 11:34 AM   #16
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaakso View Post
^is it due to above average voice coil inductance?
Partly, I suppose, but the difficulties are mainly to do with the major cone resonance around 3.5kHz with an 8" driver which is uncomfortably close to crossover point.

Most 8" drivers also have a natural steep frequency response rolloff around 24dB per octave which doesn't give you much scope with filtering or time alignment.

Using a recessed horn tweeter might help a lot here. I'd trust Troels' design as a start.
TQWT-
Old 27th July 2013, 01:00 PM   #17
jlaakso is offline jlaakso  Finland
diyAudio Member

That's more or less what I had in my mind for CA22RNY and 27TDC + waveguide. Targetting xo 2kHz region or below, depending on tweeters power handling on such low xo. Afaik 27TDC is fairly robust and should handle 2kHz pretty well.
Old 27th July 2013, 01:07 PM   #18
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

AFA using a Zobel, 7.5ohm + 11uF did the trick on my 830869. I felt it was pretty much needed to get good behavior.

IG
Old 27th July 2013, 02:26 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I tested the 830869 with a Selenium D220 coupled with a Pyle PH715 asymmetric horn. I'm quite happy with the results. A sample of my crossover can be found at Nightingale-V.

I'll be running more test, this time with a DNA350 compression driver and a selection of horns from DIY Sound Group. I think it'll be even better.
Old 27th July 2013, 04:37 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
Just to get you heading in the right direction, chazdrumzalot...

You'll never get anything good with a 1.8mH coil and a 10uF capacitor on the 8" bass. 8" bass peaks badly in the midrange if you overdo the shunt capacitor, it's just how they are.

These drivers need a Zobel type capacitor shunt to get some serious rolloff. Say 7.5R and 6uF along with a suitable bafflestep coil around 2mH. I'd add a tank around 6-7kHz across the coil to dip the breakup too. In fact Troels does exactly that here:

TQWT-

Hope it helps.
Hi System7, thanks for your informative reply. A few questions/comments:

In the second simulation I posted, I used a 2.2mH coil and a 15uF cap to get the woofer breakup ~14-15db below the total output. Assuming this is not enough, what minimum suppression should I be aiming for?

...Which leads to my next question:by "overdoing" the shunt capacitor are you saying that 10uF is TOO large? If that's the case, I think I already know how you'll feel about the 2.2mH/15uF option.

I initially started my crossover simulations with a zobel (the same as IG81 recommended, or by using PCD's suggested values) and baffle step and everything, and this morning I went back to that. But I have not yet found a way to incorporate the zobel such that I get a good FR, good phase, AND any additional breakup control compared to 2.2mH/15uF. To get anything that looks good I have to resort to a single series coil in conjunction with the zobel (and then phase is bad anyway). This may all be due to the fact that I'm not yet using my own in-box measurements, and perhaps once I get started with those I'll see (or hear) what you're describing.

If serious rolloff is the goal, maybe I should put more attention toward the 24db crossover, despite the higher complexity and cost.

Hide this!Advertise here!