for experts with caps in speaker filters - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2013, 10:05 PM   #11
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Some people do not like Mylar caps. Polypropylene is measurably better. Get some of those of the same values, replace all the old ones and have a listen. As I said before, Solen or Jantzen will be just fine. No need for fancy caps.

I really do think you'll have to actually change values to get what you want.
Old 26th July 2013, 10:14 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Some people do not like Mylar caps. Polypropylene is measurably better.
I disagree. I would say measurably different. Visit here for the test data.

Effect of Film dielectric type on capacitor ESR

It may be the lower ESR of PP film caps is more audibly noticeable than PET, thus more recognizable as a slightly brighter change that's construed to be 'better'?
Old 26th July 2013, 10:31 PM   #13
Eldam is online now Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

Thank you Pano,

I have already some caps : 8 uf Amphom MKP aluminium, some 1 uF Audyn superior + caps, some french SCR (= basic Solen). I will do like you say to looking for an audible difference...better or worse...or no difference.

In the same time I need to change the resistors of the mid (two 4 homs are broken during soldering the new Oyaide copper wires), i will go for non inductive to try to padle and with the Tweeter resistor too (first cellul of the tweeter filter)

I will never try to change value of the filters for some reasons : mid and tweeter units were developed from scratch by Boston Acoustics and the filter by the designer who knew what he done (I hope). I have no experience in tweaking filter : no way to do better myself with diferent values : I prefer to go on a new speaker project and sell the Lynfield 400 L.
I like the sound of the Kef 104/2 I have, they are less transparent, but "meatier" and more musical according to my taste, but I never saw the curve (anybody measure it?) : i surmise that the good result with these speakers is a diving treble, a nervous mid bass with no bass (- 2 db : 50 Htz - 20 Khtz ...maybe - 6 db at 40 htz or 35 htz???). The filter is very complex !

On another side I heard the Lynfield for 15 years !
thanks again Pano

Last edited by Eldam; 26th July 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 26th July 2013, 10:39 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=speakerdoctor;3574755]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Some people do not like Mylar caps. Polypropylene is measurably better. QUOTE]

I disagree. I would say measurably different. Visit here for the test data.

Effect of Film dielectric type on capacitor ESR

It may be the lower ESR of PP film caps is more audibly noticeable than PET, thus more recognizable as a slightly brighter change that's construed to be 'better'?
Hi and thank you for the input and link,

Is PET equal to mylar and equal to MKT (they are the same?)

For my taste, brighter is not better. Hummm I have to test before wasting money in the missing MKP value caps...

In the output stage of a cdplayer I notice great difference between different caps (used for stop DC or do filter) but never try with speakers.
Old 26th July 2013, 10:46 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Eldam;3574780]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerdoctor View Post

Hi and thank you for the input and link,

Is PET equal to mylar and equal to MKT (they are the same?)

For my taste, brighter is not better. Hummm I have to test before wasting money in the missing MKP value caps...

In the output stage of a cdplayer I notice great difference between different caps (used for stop DC or do filter) but never try with speakers.
PET is = to mylar is = to MKT
MKT caps offer a sonic signature not much different than non-polar electrolytic crossover caps due to their relatively higher ESR. So, if you are replacing NPE's with MKT's the voicing should not change significantly. However, if you replace MKP's with MKT's then you'll notice a softer high end due to the higher resistive effects of the MKT caps.
Old 26th July 2013, 11:21 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Well... the Boston acoustic designer knew what he done ! After all there are too a lot of electrochemical and some mkt in the Kef too ! I knew somebody who played with silmic 2 (100V) in filters !

The treble is soft but with no consistance... so Pano is right I have to move the curve with different value or add notch, etc... so it is a no go for me, I will just try non inductive resistor because I need to change them... (but if somebody say to me that non inductive resistor has not the same result with impedance curve than cement one; I read something like that in the past ?!).
So is it ok : non inductive resistor can give a slighty softer effect, or I forget it too and buy just fifty cents Dayton cement ?

Thanks guys... my next big step in DIY audio will be : activ speaker but from scratch.
Old 29th July 2013, 01:10 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
If there exists differences between capacitor of the same capacitance and voltage values, is because one of them is not a true capacitor, it may have higher ESR or ESL (Or any other parasitic) values, in fact the worse they are, the capacitor will be a band pass filter in place of a capacitor. Since here the audible (?) difference.
Old 29th July 2013, 01:21 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osvaldo de Banfield View Post
If there exists differences between capacitor of the same capacitance and voltage values, is because one of them is not a true capacitor, it may have higher ESR or ESL (Or any other parasitic) values, in fact the worse they are, the capacitor will be a band pass filter in place of a capacitor. Since here the audible (?) difference.
And piezo electric effect. These thin films flex under load within the cap. Different base materials have different effect upon the operating part affecting it sonically. So yes caps act like tweeters, distorting the sound. The best of the best caps minimize this.
Old 29th July 2013, 01:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

A nice article worth reading about caps, if you missed the link at my last post. It discusses what effect physical makup differences in caps has on performance properties.

Physical Considerations
Old 29th July 2013, 01:44 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Will have a read, thx

Have had many a discussion on capacitor design with the engineers at AVX Corporation. Know many of them personally, SpinGuard plant was two miles from my fathers place.

Hide this!Advertise here!