Choosing between three mid drivers - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2013, 02:24 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

i suggest peerless HDS-P830870 Rev2
simply wonderfull

Last edited by diypass; 26th July 2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 26th July 2013, 02:29 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

These were on sale until recently at PE for $29 each none the less. Nice driver for sure. Would have suggested it if he wasn't looking for more effeciency, which may still be in the range of what he's looking for.

Peerless 830870 4"

fixed your pdf link
Old 26th July 2013, 02:44 PM   #23
Kev06 is offline Kev06  England
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much yet again, Greebster - very informative. Theres so much to learn with these things, its really interesting - if I get it even half-way decent I'll probably be quite happy at this rate!

Cheers
Kev
Old 26th July 2013, 02:56 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Thanks diypass (and Greebster for the fix). Yeah I'll know better after some work with my SPL meter tonight, but I think 84dB/watt (and 25watts nominal) is probably going to be too low for me. I could double them up, but I gather that can have effects from their interaction and I'd prefer to keep it simple to begin with. Nice looking response, though.

Cheers
Kev
Old 26th July 2013, 02:57 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I got fed up with cost VS performance, mostly due to the distortion ratings. Tall order harmonics being reduced is always good, but I question the cost. Does it have to be >4x the price for a driver that is only 10-15dB lower?! Geesh. With that said I'll be heading up the street with the T- poles removed for turning. Add my own faraday shielding modeled with FEMM and rebuild/align to get what I want < yeah extremist. Difference I can get at least 4 of these for the price of one of the lower distortion spec drivers, but without their breakup.

and if I mess up two, no problem I have a dozen to play with
Old 26th July 2013, 03:04 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I can only really dream of that sort of customisation at the moment, but I'm still trying to resist the really expensive ones - mostly because I doubt I would get the best from them anyway, and for all i know the whole project could even be an almighty failure.

Cheers
kev
Old 26th July 2013, 03:43 PM   #27
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
not sure I would use the Seas ROY woofer

isn't it more a subwoofer with that big surround
I guess its best crossed much lower, and active

SB have a new 12" with low inductance...looks good
Let's not rate drivers just on appearance.

It has distortion better than the regular L26 and almost as low as the W26. And is usable to 400hz+.

The SB 12" is a great driver too, but requires an enclosure about three times larger than the L26ROY.
Old 26th July 2013, 04:18 PM   #28
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

General concensus of users is that the L26ROY works very well up in to the lower midrange. Haven't used them myself though. Both the Audax HM100Z0 and the Scan 10F are very good and IMHO are better than the HM130C0 at the top of their range. If you can accept the poorer vertical directivity and fiddlier mounting and XO design, the BG Neo 10s are the best sounding midrange I've had here. Not for all applications, but the clarity and lack of 'speakerishness' is exceptional. If it's too much of a pain to use, I'd shade towards the 10F. Wider usable bandwidth and better power handling, but lower sensitivity than the Audax. If you can go up to 450Hz, which the L26 should be fine with, the BG Neo 8S is an excellent and cheaper option- closer in price to the cone drivers mentioned. The '10 is double the price, unfortunately!
Old 26th July 2013, 06:50 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Thanks chaps, reassuring about the L26ROY :-)

Toaster, thanks for the suggestions. Not sure if planar drivers would suit this application, but I've heard they're very good so I may have to try them in the future.

Yeah, the SS 10F isn't very sensitive and can't really reach the SPLs I'm after but the HM100Z0 can - and more. However it has an Fs of 250Hz.. should I be nervous about crossing it over only just above that at 300hz or is it okay? The cone excursion seems within Xmax but its starting to roll off around 300hz, though I guess I could go a bit higher if necessary..

Cheers
Kev

Last edited by Kev06; 26th July 2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 26th July 2013, 07:02 PM   #30
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Crossed at 400hz, excursion shouldn't be much of an issue.

Click the image to open in full size.

What width cabinet are you thinking about? If it's around 12-13", cross right at baffle step, which will be around 350-400hz.

Hide this!Advertise here!