What type of amp set-up for single 2-way speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2013, 09:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What type of amp set-up for single 2-way speaker

Ok, been searching for hours for an answer to this. I'm planning on gutting an old 1 speaker vintage radio and updating it with some new internals which will most importantly include new speakers and an amp. Though, I want to add a 2-way speaker (woofer; 50hz-3khz and mid to full range; 1khz-20khz) which will be crossed somewhere around 300hz.

My question is; do I use a 2 channel amp and dedicate each speaker to its own channel or do I figure out how to run this setup mono? My worry is that all of the input coming from my source will be in stereo and the output will be compromised as one channel will be dedicated to lows and the other to highs. Im aware this would not matter if I were using two 2-way speakers.

Maybe I'm reading into this a bit too much. Just want some clarification, or even suggestions, as to which route I should take.

Also, take those figures above with a grain of salt. I haven't figured out just yet which components I will go with.

Thank you in advance.
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamond20 View Post
Ok, been searching for hours for an answer to this. I'm planning on gutting an old 1 speaker vintage radio and updating it with some new internals which will most importantly include new speakers and an amp. Though, I want to add a 2-way speaker (woofer; 50hz-3khz and mid to full range; 1khz-20khz) which will be crossed somewhere around 300hz.

My question is; do I use a 2 channel amp and dedicate each speaker to its own channel or do I figure out how to run this setup mono? My worry is that all of the input coming from my source will be in stereo and the output will be compromised as one channel will be dedicated to lows and the other to highs. Im aware this would not matter if I were using two 2-way speakers.

Maybe I'm reading into this a bit too much. Just want some clarification, or even suggestions, as to which route I should take.

Also, take those figures above with a grain of salt. I haven't figured out just yet which components I will go with.

Thank you in advance.
Running each driver off of it's own amp is probably not helpful. That's really only an advantage (or a requirement) if you are doing an active speaker with a digital crossover. Not really worth it for something like this.

You definitely do NOT want to run the L/R signal to the midwoofer and the opposite R/L signal to the tweeter. You want to feed them a mono signal. Not sure offhand exactly what the best way to do that from a stereo signal though.

The two channel amp part is only relevant if you want to use both channels. You don't have to use both. There are lots of inexpensive single channel amps from PartsExpress or similar stores. You don't need hundreds of watts for something like this. Nor would a high quality amp be particularly useful.
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Get some resistors and sum the input.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th July 2013, 12:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the great response George. Anyone know how I can handle the stereo to mono issue?
Old 24th July 2013, 07:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

ahem.
Old 24th July 2013, 08:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamond20 View Post
Thanks for the great response George. Anyone know how I can handle the stereo to mono issue?
Read dumptruck's post?
Old 24th July 2013, 09:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

For your purpose dumptruck's post is the best. Yes it can be done other ways (for other reasons, like channel isolation) but costs more, takes more time and the result would be the same. Well one exception where this is better other than cost is clarity, only passive parts and resistors at that. Metal film would be best.
Old 26th July 2013, 06:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help guys. Decided to go with 2 speakers in the unit. Although, I may need to read up on how to decipher electronic schematics. I'm aware I require some resistors, but have no idea what type to do what Dumptruck is suggesting.
Old 26th July 2013, 07:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Metal film 1/4watt types would be fine
Old 26th July 2013, 07:27 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Sorry to be a pain, but what exactly do the numbers mean. I'm aware of what 475 ohms is but not sure of the relation. And the 20K and 1%'s; lost.

Hide this!Advertise here!