What type of amp set-up for single 2-way speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, been searching for hours for an answer to this. I'm planning on gutting an old 1 speaker vintage radio and updating it with some new internals which will most importantly include new speakers and an amp. Though, I want to add a 2-way speaker (woofer; 50hz-3khz and mid to full range; 1khz-20khz) which will be crossed somewhere around 300hz.

My question is; do I use a 2 channel amp and dedicate each speaker to its own channel or do I figure out how to run this setup mono? My worry is that all of the input coming from my source will be in stereo and the output will be compromised as one channel will be dedicated to lows and the other to highs. Im aware this would not matter if I were using two 2-way speakers.

Maybe I'm reading into this a bit too much. Just want some clarification, or even suggestions, as to which route I should take.

Also, take those figures above with a grain of salt. I haven't figured out just yet which components I will go with.

Thank you in advance.

Ok, been searching for hours for an answer to this. I'm planning on gutting an old 1 speaker vintage radio and updating it with some new internals which will most importantly include new speakers and an amp. Though, I want to add a 2-way speaker (woofer; 50hz-3khz and mid to full range; 1khz-20khz) which will be crossed somewhere around 300hz.

My question is; do I use a 2 channel amp and dedicate each speaker to its own channel or do I figure out how to run this setup mono? My worry is that all of the input coming from my source will be in stereo and the output will be compromised as one channel will be dedicated to lows and the other to highs. Im aware this would not matter if I were using two 2-way speakers.

Maybe I'm reading into this a bit too much. Just want some clarification, or even suggestions, as to which route I should take.

Also, take those figures above with a grain of salt. I haven't figured out just yet which components I will go with.

Thank you in advance.

Running each driver off of it's own amp is probably not helpful. That's really only an advantage (or a requirement) if you are doing an active speaker with a digital crossover. Not really worth it for something like this.

You definitely do NOT want to run the L/R signal to the midwoofer and the opposite R/L signal to the tweeter. You want to feed them a mono signal. Not sure offhand exactly what the best way to do that from a stereo signal though.

The two channel amp part is only relevant if you want to use both channels. You don't have to use both. There are lots of inexpensive single channel amps from PartsExpress or similar stores. You don't need hundreds of watts for something like this. Nor would a high quality amp be particularly useful.

For your purpose dumptruck's post is the best. Yes it can be done other ways (for other reasons, like channel isolation) but costs more, takes more time and the result would be the same. Well one exception where this is better other than cost is clarity, only passive parts and resistors at that. Metal film would be best.

475Ω is not a standard value, but the difference is insignificant. If you have a meter or have access to a meter you should use two that are closely matched. Normally when bought this way the tolerance of 5% is no problem and they will probably be better than 1% tolerance of one another. typically find them to be closer to 0.1% of one another which is what you want.

Ok, pretty sure I have it now. Correct me if I'm wrong or doing more work than necessary.

-Splice the stereo cable which is coming coming from my MP3 player
-There will be 3 leads; L, R and ground
-Solder a 475 1% resistor to the L and R leads, separately
-Solder a length of wire to each 475's opposite end and then join these 2 wires
-Add a 20K 1% resistor to these 2 joined wires and add a length of wire

This should leave me with 2 leads; the originally joined wires, including resistors and the ground wire. From here ill have the 2 inputs for the mono amp.

Well, you don't need so many wires - where the three resistors all connect to each other, just solder them directly together with the mono positive lead.

P.S. it just occurred to me that maybe you looked up "K" as a code. That's just a 20kΩ, i.e. 20,000Ω resistor, same type as the others.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.