Homemade Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi recently i built a homemade speaker system but it is constantly emitting a buzzing sound. I have simply two speakers connected to an amplifier and a 12V power source. I have also noticed that if im physically touching the negative wire of the speakers then the buzzing stops. This is annoying me as anything else i connect it to still causes buzzing its only me that stops it. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated?

Buzz or Hum?

Buzz implies a mechanical sound as it something phyisically loose and rattling.

Hum implies an electrical sound, as in 60hz line hum.

Which do you mean?

If this is an electrical sound, then yes, you have some kind of ground issue. It could be a ground loop on the AC side. Or it could be a bad ground wire on the music side.

But, what it is, is difficult to determine without a few more details.

You claim the system runs off 12v, is that a 12v power supply or a 12v battery? And if a 12v power supply, what kind of power supply?

You say it stops if you touch the negative wire, but do you mean anywhere on the wire, or do you mean you touch the Bare Exposed Metal part of the wire? Or do you actually mean the Negative Speaker Terminal?

These all tell us different things, so we need precise details not generalizations.

Steve/bluewizard

@Bluewizard

Thanks for the help so far
anyway...

The sound seems to be both a hum and buzz. The hum stops when i touch the actual wire to answer your other question though there is a slight buzz. I'm not to concerned with the buzz as it is a very small sound but the hum is incredibly annoying (although if anyone has an idea for the buzz would be great to).

I've tried running it off an AC household power point with an adapter a 12V and also my power source generator, each giving the same result.

One thing i want to add is atm it is connected with alligator clips. Was going to properly solder some audio wire onto it later once i figured everything out but could this be a cause of the problem.

Having done exactly as you have, experienced this hum induced buzz. Solid ground connections are a must. Still would suggest checking the cables to see if there is a weak link.

BW, you've never experienced hum induced buzz? Normally I've found the problem is two fold. Poor grounding and a bad or inadequate ground in a signal line or an open ended unterminated signal input is all it takes to produce this.

In terms of making a 'ground' connection could i just put a bit of copper pipe or something with high/low resistance in my speaker. I intend it to be portable so i dont want to be putting a giant piece of anything in there to make it work. Is there anything that works particulary well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.