Is it ok to have multiple tweeters in each channel? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2013, 05:05 PM   #11
Zertman is offline Zertman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannoo View Post
doubt you'd fry the resistors. Have you measured the woofers at all?
particularly for impedance i mean
Did you mean "fry the tweeters"? I haven't measured the woofers but they are marked 4 ohm on their magnets.
Old 22nd July 2013, 05:06 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Now that we've covered how to electrically integrate them how about some advise with physical configuration do's and don'ts.
Old 22nd July 2013, 05:42 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I took a picture of how my front speakers are setup:
Click the image to open in full size.

I know the left and right speakers are too close to the center one but I don't have enough room to move them further apart.
Old 22nd July 2013, 05:58 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

How are you guy's getting 6db? If the 4 ohm resistor is removed the amp will see half the impedance or a doubling of the wattage which is 3db. Am I missing something?

Also, IIRC, the added resistor changed the cut off frequency of the tweeter effectively moving it up an octave.
Old 22nd July 2013, 06:19 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

So I removed the inductors and resistors and it does sound better. I kinda scared of cranking it, though. How can I tell if I am frying the tweeters?
Old 23rd July 2013, 02:15 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zertman View Post
So I removed the inductors and resistors and it does sound better. I kinda scared of cranking it, though. How can I tell if I am frying the tweeters?
The Pyramid tweeters have ferro fluid which, among other things, helps to transfer heat away from the voice coil. IME, such tweeters are hard to fry. The best thing to remember is that audible distortion is what tends to take out modern tweeters. So turn it down if you here the tweeter distorting.
Old 23rd July 2013, 03:21 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrenman View Post
How are you guy's getting 6db? If the 4 ohm resistor is removed the amp will see half the impedance or a doubling of the wattage which is 3db. Am I missing something?
Voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrenman View Post
Also, IIRC, the added resistor changed the cut off frequency of the tweeter effectively moving it up an octave.
The resistor was on the amp side of the crossover, so it should not have changed to response much.
Old 23rd July 2013, 07:12 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

If you can see it move it's too low and no amount of ferrofluid will save you. Additionally crossing too low causes a massive amount of distortion and may exceed the one octave above resonance rule (to keep it clean).
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumptruck View Post
Voltage.

The resistor was on the amp side of the crossover, so it should not have changed to response much.
Thanks for the correction on the resistor.

However I still disgaree on the 6db. FWIU, You are refering to electronics in which you are dealing only in the voltage domain in which doubling the voltage results in 6db increase. In speakers we are in the power domain (current comes into play) and have doubled the wattage which is a 3db increase.
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:37 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

The resistor is dissipating power, dropping the voltage. What you have done to the power that is actually seen by the driver? You're correctly estimating the difference in power being supplied to the whole circuit.

Last edited by dumptruck; 23rd July 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!