SQ Oriented Boombox: Design Help Needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2013, 08:34 AM   #1
JetFire is offline JetFire  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle area
Default SQ Oriented Boombox: Design Help Needed

This is my 3rd attempt to work out the boombox I have in my head, please help! My 1st and 2nd attempts. I'm coming from car audio and 1 speaker build (Zaph's SR71). I'm not going super cheap, but it's not an unlimited funds build.

I think I would like to start with choosing drivers, work out box dimensions/layout, and figure out the XO or sound processing.

Goals:
  1. Good sound for a variety of music
  2. Can be heavy, up to 40 lbs..........no prob.
  3. Has to be portable, can be larger (so 2 people carry it comfortably).
  4. I want it to get low, doesn't have to "slam".
  5. 2- batteries are ok
  6. Love to have solar charging and a wireless microphone eventually

Currently considering:
I'm hindered on this build because I lack the ability to model drivers/enclosures or design XOs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 10:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
You're not getting real stereo out of a single box so avoid using 2 of any of the drivers. Get a single amp and a ported 10" with a low crossing tweeter or single small fullrange. It will have 30hz extension and play loud. You Ipod with a y-adapter for a mono signal will be the source. An alpine 10" in a 1.5 cubic foot box will hit that extension and will be efficient. If you want really big sound and have the watts for it use a single 12" with a HiVi full range.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=297-427

Last edited by SpinMonster; 20th July 2013 at 10:22 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
JetFire is offline JetFire  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinMonster View Post
You're not getting real stereo out of a single box so avoid using 2 of any of the drivers. Get a single amp and a ported 10" with a low crossing tweeter or single small fullrange. It will have 30hz extension and play loud. You Ipod with a y-adapter for a mono signal will be the source. An alpine 10" in a 1.5 cubic foot box will hit that extension and will be efficient. If you want really big sound and have the watts for it use a single 12" with a HiVi full range.

HiVi B3S 3" Shielded Aluminum Driver Square Frame 297-427
I wouldn't loose voices or instruments with only 1 mid-range? I like the concept. Early on I was considering 2- mids and 1- sub.

Could you provide a link to the alpine your talking about?
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 07:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
You've given us the What but you have failed to give us the Why?

What is the purpose of this device? That is, how do you plan to use it?

It seems to be more than a generic boombox. So, is it for DJ purposes? Simply music? PA purposes? Knowing the context of how it will be used, will give us better insight into the design, and allow us to tailor our response to your specific need.

What SpinMonster has described is essentially a single PA Active Speaker similar to this -

Harbinger APS12 12" Powered PA Speaker | GuitarCenter

But that is not a Boom Box.

As an extension of the above, how much space do you intend to fill? That is, you are trying to fill a living room, a small bar/pub, a small hall, a large hall? For outdoor use, just a few friends gathered for a party? A large group of friends? A large crowd of people? A wild drunken orgy of a rave? Each of these has different requirements and only the small number of them would fall under the need for a 'boombox'.

So ...very much... what you need depends on what you need to do.

Give us a better explanation of how this device will be used, so we have some context to bass our answers on.

Steve/bluewizard
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 07:59 PM   #5
JetFire is offline JetFire  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle area
Looked around more and currently leaning towards:

Am I getting there? The 8" vented takes up some space and the full-rangers sealed don't. Doesn't seem like I'll have a huge box.........
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 08:07 PM   #6
JetFire is offline JetFire  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWizard View Post
You've given us the What but you have failed to give us the Why?

What is the purpose of this device? That is, how do you plan to use it?

It seems to be more than a generic boombox. So, is it for DJ purposes? Simply music? PA purposes? Knowing the context of how it will be used, will give us better insight into the design, and allow us to tailor our response to your specific need.

What SpinMonster has described is essentially a single PA Active Speaker similar to this -

Harbinger APS12 12" Powered PA Speaker | GuitarCenter

But that is not a Boom Box.

As an extension of the above, how much space do you intend to fill? That is, you are trying to fill a living room, a small bar/pub, a small hall, a large hall? For outdoor use, just a few friends gathered for a party? A large group of friends? A large crowd of people? A wild drunken orgy of a rave? Each of these has different requirements and only the small number of them would fall under the need for a 'boombox'.

So ...very much... what you need depends on what you need to do.

Give us a better explanation of how this device will be used, so we have some context to bass our answers on.

Steve/bluewizard
True, I didn't give a lot of detail in this thread (I had in the earlier linked attempts).

You nailed it with "for outdoor use, just a few friends gathered for a party". A small group of college buddies and I get together every year and have epic cornhole matches (the bean bag game). I'll use it at the house by the fire pit in the back lot/patio as well. Thanks!

Last edited by JetFire; 20th July 2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added info
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 08:18 PM   #7
jReave is offline jReave  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I'm using the ND91-8's. They get nice and low in small boxes but they need help on the high end. I think the Aura NS3's are better as a full ranger and cost less too.

The Madisound Speaker Store

With a woofer tho, you might not need the LF's. Some of the little Vifa's would be worth a look too. Vifa TC9FD-18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer 264-1062 in particular but the TC7 and TC6 are good also.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 08:23 PM   #8
JetFire is offline JetFire  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle area
Quote:
Originally Posted by jReave View Post
I'm using the ND91-8's. They get nice and low in small boxes but they need help on the high end. I think the Aura NS3's are better as a full ranger and cost less too.

The Madisound Speaker Store

With a woofer tho, you might not need the LF's. Some of the little Vifa's would be worth a look too. Vifa TC9FD-18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer 264-1062 in particular but the TC7 and TC6 are good also.
Seal the mids and vent the woofer?
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 09:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFire View Post
I wouldn't loose voices or instruments with only 1 mid-range? I like the concept. Early on I was considering 2- mids and 1- sub.

Could you provide a link to the alpine your talking about?
No you dont lose any mids. Using a single 10 instead will play deeper than 8's and be the same size. Most tweeters are more efficient than an 8" so you are padding it down to match the lower spl of an 8 or 6.5 which wastes the available power. It just plays louder with a bigger speaker. At any real distance you are not hearing stereo from 2 8's and 2 tweeters so a single mono speaker that plays deeper will also play louder with the same power level.

Pro audio 10" speakers easily play high enough for a tweeter especially is you horn load it. By contrast, the RS dayton speakers are power hungry and wont get anywhere near the volume level.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 10:55 PM   #10
jReave is offline jReave  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFire View Post
Seal the mids and vent the woofer?
Yes. Cross around 400-1000Hz (I'm guessing) with the Vifa TC9, and use 2 in parallel, not for the stereo effect but to get the efficiency up to about 89dB. The amp has to be happy with a 4ohm load tho.

The price is right on this driver and it plays exceptionally cleanly.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ORIENTED or Not ORIENTED cores for OPT ja2dhc Tubes / Valves 14 5th July 2008 12:31 PM
Grain oriented silicon steel core data needed eppidei Tubes / Valves 0 14th September 2007 02:08 AM
First time build help needed budget oriented sbrunkow Multi-Way 1 24th October 2006 05:23 PM
new design idea in the quest of SQ Nemophyle Multi-Way 26 17th January 2006 05:49 PM
help me refine this SQ design...please Audiophilenoob Multi-Way 8 13th June 2005 02:24 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:56 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2