Klipsch RF-82's Questions

If you connect a driver (mid or full-range) in parallel with your speaker your impedance will go down. Better building a new system with new crossover. :wave2s:

How about a parallel-series? that would keep the ohm load the same but I don't know how I would do the crossover..

What if I was to drive some mids from 2 separate channels? I could get rid of my RB-51's and put some good midranges on the sides with their own crossover for top and bottom?

I can also get a 9 channel receiver so there has got to be some options out there, this isn't bothering me enough to warrant all new speakers, besides anybody in the know, thinks Klipsch makes great stuff and I love their warmth so I'm not replacing them

Any thoughts?

How about a parallel-series? that would keep the ohm load the same but I don't know how I would do the crossover..

What if I was to drive some mids from 2 separate channels? I could get rid of my RB-51's and put some good midranges on the sides with their own crossover for top and bottom?

I can also get a 9 channel receiver so there has got to be some options out there, this isn't bothering me enough to warrant all new speakers...
I would do that as a last resource i.e., experience or test.
Buy 2 of these.
6" - FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 6PR150

In all honesty, it is not up to you to add to music what the original musician did not put in that music. In short, if it is not on the recording, it is not on the recording.

Next you have to ask yourself what it is you expect from higher quality speakers? If it not a crunchy tube sound, rather it is clarity, detail, and accuracy of reproduction.

If clarity is not what you want, then by some cheap $100 speakers. What you are talking about doing, whether you know it or not, is adding an additional crappy speaker to a good system in order to make it sound worse.

What is gained from PRODUCING music with at tube amp is a combination of compression and distortion. These are not desirable things when you are RE-producing music.

Also, give some thought to speaker placement and room acoustics.

But in all honesty, what I hear you saying is that you want speaker that sound worse, and so my only advice is to buy some worse speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

In all honesty, it is not up to you to add to music what the original musician did not put in that music. In short, if it is not on the recording, it is not on the recording.

Next you have to ask yourself what it is you expect from higher quality speakers? If it not a crunchy tube sound, rather it is clarity, detail, and accuracy of reproduction.

If clarity is not what you want, then by some cheap $100 speakers. What you are talking about doing, whether you know it or not, is adding an additional crappy speaker to a good system in order to make it sound worse.

What is gained from PRODUCING music with at tube amp is a combination of compression and distortion. These are not desirable things when you are RE-producing music.

Also, give some thought to speaker placement and room acoustics.

But in all honesty, what I hear you saying is that you want speaker that sound worse, and so my only advice is to buy some worse speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

Lol well not necessarily worse, just ...more? haha my speakers have excellent clarity, and I don't want to switch to Heresy, like I said my ONLY issue with these speakers is the midrange isn't quite perfect because they do not have a midrange driver only large tweeter and midbass..

What I am wanting to know, is if it is possible to add some midrange drivers into my setup WITHOUT making it sound worse... If I can't find away than I will just stay with what I have, chances are after some playing with room acoustics and a better receiver will get me closer to what I want anyway, although it would be great to be able to add some midrange drivers somewhere in the system.

Also I am not trying to add something into my music that is not there, I have heard some of the sound I am looking for coming out of guitar amplifiers and was wondering if a small midrange driver added in the mix somewhere would help thats all. I understand I won't be able to replicate a live performance and I also understand that guitar amplifiers have distortion settings that a typical receiver may "clean up" thus changing the sound regardless of the speaker.

Forgive me for being harsh but "replace $1000,s worth of speakers" is NOT good advice and is useless to anybody but the very rich :eek:

Forgive me for being harsh but "replace $1000,s worth of speakers" is NOT good advice and is useless to anybody but the very rich :eek:

I didn't say set "fire to them", just sell them and buy something that you prefer (not necessarily something more expensive). Adding a mid driver would be a waste of time and money. You'd need measuring gear and some speaker design knowledge to have half a chance - But if you had all that, you'd just build from scratch.

You could just buy some cheap, classic, paper coned speakers to see if you prefer them (Acoustic research AR6, AR7, AR18, Snell K or classic JBL). If you don't like them, sell them for very little loss (or maybe a profit if you're lucky). It would cost very little and would give you an idea of what direction to take (if any).

I'm just trying to help you.

I didn't say set "fire to them", just sell them and buy something that you prefer (not necessarily something more expensive). Adding a mid driver would be a waste of time and money. You'd need measuring gear and some speaker design knowledge to have half a chance - But if you had all that, you'd just build from scratch.

You could just buy some cheap, classic, paper coned speakers to see if you prefer them (Acoustic research AR6, AR7, AR18, Snell K or classic JBL). If you don't like them, sell them for very little loss (or maybe a profit if you're lucky). It would cost very little and would give you an idea of what direction to take (if any).

I'm just trying to help you.

Good advice, a couple cheap speakers off the local classified that have paper cones may give me a bit of an idea on what to expect with minimal loss. And selling my speakers would result in a financial loss almost guaranteed not to mention that I may dislike what I purchase and be even less satisfied, to me it just seems like there is something else that can be done, and Bluewizard on the other thread gave some good advice where to start

Your speakers are well balanced, I've listened to them enough times. They are a fine loudspeaker, that's not the problem. What Steve/Blue Wizard is saying, very clearly, and what others have also said is you can't get something out of nothing. What you hear live and what you get on a CD or WHY won't ever sound alike.

Like I said before, I understand that, and based on all the reviews I read before buying these, you are correct they are well balanced, just not in my home, something that I realize now and need to work on.

Your Klipsch Rf82 are a more than good enough loudspeaker to reproduce a flat in room response so long as the room has no serious problems. What you hear live on stage is not going to be the mix that you will hear in a recording so you cannot expect them to sound the same as they are not the same. The speakers job is to reproduce the recording as accurately as possible and not change the recording in any significant way. Altering home hifi speakers to make CD's sound live is a mistake. You might do much better with an equalizer to dial in a response which work for you in your room.
Personally I do not suspect that your speakers overall response is is the source of your discontent. I think that you would do well to follow your ideas and try as many different things as you can think of to solve your problem as that process will provide you with experience that will be of great value. A process of elimination will help you to zone in on what is going on.
In the mean time and in parallel I would suggest that you listen to some other Klipsch speakers to gain a broader point of reference. The LaScala and the Cornwall would be good candidates for listening to and as I previously suggested the CF3 or CF4 would also be good to check out since they are also two ways. I am not asking you to buy other speakers simply suggesting that you listen to a wider range of speakers to see what they can do. I expect that you will be very surprised in how different they all sound. Good luck best regards Moray James.

klipsch Rf 82

I would suggest that you try moving your speakers further away from the back wall about an inch at a time
Until you get the midrange clarity you are looking for. I have a pair of the RF 7 s and I had to have them about
Thirty three inches from the rear wall and thirty two inches from the side walls to have them sound right.Speaker placement can have a huge impact on the way a speaker sounds, and the best thing is that that it does not cost anything.
Regards Rickster338

I hope it's ok to reuse a old thread:
I've always felt the RF82 a bit hard on highs with tube amps, and way less with class D amps.
May this be due to the impedance of the cone at higher frequencies?

I've found this schematic of the crossover on this forum:
Klipsch RF82 crossover drawing.jpg

I've then read about the DeanG mod that should soften the highs and improve mids:
"2 of each: 5uF Kimber, 12uF Kimber, and 18uF Jantzen CrossCap, 1 ohm Mills, 2 ohm Mills, 10 ohms Mills. Parallel the 10 and 2 and place in the 2 ohm position on the HF board (next to to 18uF cap)."

This is the pdf with the data of the speaker, but no impedance nor dB/Wm curves:
https://2d73e25b29782b6d6766-9c8af5...l.cf2.rackcdn.com/RF82_635042119230740000.pdf

Has anyone done something similar?
What would you suggest to do to use it for stereo Hi-Fi without any sub?

Thanks
Roberto