dayton MTM or stryke MTM?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was at first going to go with the dayton MTM design that is kinda popular, it looked nice and supposedly sounded good for the price. but then i saw plans for the stryke MTM at this site http://plaza.ufl.edu/cdoggy81/DIYstryke.html It looks pretty nice, but i am going to want it to be ported instead, possibly, maybe not. i am just at the beginning stages of this project as you can tell. Any input on which i shoud choose would be great.
i like the looks of the strykes, and i like the price. but the daytons seem to be better documented and more people have had success with it. stryke mtm's i haven't heard too much about.

I have no experience with either, but I would go "the path less travelled" ie ... stryke. I followed the link and it appears to have all the information you would need. Also the drivers have a distinctive appearance. I have heard that the Stryke midbass drivers are excellent value for money, from someone who has used them in dipoles.

I am going for it then. i think i am going to build 5 MTM speakers for my surround system. timbre matching for the first time ever! yay! i suppose i could do 3 MTM and 2 TM's, but the speakers are so cheap! thanks for the input, i'll post it when i get started around the begining of the new year.

Why not just start with a pair of TM's and see how you like it? If you do, then go ahead and build the other MTM's. Also, for surrounds, have you considered bipolar? Apparently works well in particular in small to medium rooms to give spaciousness while still retaining localisation. Depending on where you place your speakers, it could be worth experimenting with.

cheers,
Paul

it would be cheap enough to do. bipolar, that is where you put an additional tweeter out of phase with the original on the rear or the side of the enclosure, right? that would raise the cost quite a bit just building a TM, cutting out the bulk discount of 5 bucks a piece for the woof and 2 bucks a piece a tweet. I guess i is okay, maybe i will build my mother in-law a pair of speakers with the stryke audio speekers! damn i am a genius... she will pay for the parts neccisary i bet. thanks paul, you gave me a good idea. I will build her a pair and see how they sound, if i like the way they do, then i will order the full 5.1 amount needed. still gotta decide on whether i want TM surrounds (bipolar), or MTM surrounds (bipolar? that would be cool. maybe all of them bipolar, with switches so i could turn it off if it doesn't sound good.
hmmmmmmmmm. ideas ideas.

Speakergeek, you sound a little like me!!!

Here is some food for thought:

Dan Marx audio innovation site

in particular, go to his bipolar surrounds:

Dan Marx ... audio innovation

The Loudspeaker kit have some as well, worth looking at just to get an idea:

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/index.php?page=baseline&kitid=D4

There are 2 types
1 - bipolar
2 - dipolar

Confused?

Bipolar have 2 tweeters and 2 woofers all in phase. They will radiate in different directions, usually either at 90 or 180 degrees.

Dipolar are similar but they are out of phase, just like an open baffle dipole which has only a baffle. A dipole has less bass and is meant to be more spacious and localises less. Bipolar are better for localisation. Dipoles have a transparent sound to them that seems to defy their location more. You can switch from one to the other with the wiring.

If the speakers are close to you, then you will get the direct sound, and the delayed sound bouncing off the walls. This is bad for stereo but good for surround effects.

If your room is large enough for your rear speakers to be a similar distance as your mains from your ears ... then your guess is as good as mine regarding which way you should go - you might then make the rears MTM as well as the mains.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.